Homemade Soft Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merman

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently made some soft weights. Basically, they consist of fiberglass screen sewed into pouches into wich I added reclaimed lead shot.
My question: Anything wrong with this? I think I can count on the durablility, but need I be concerned about the lead?
Thanks

Originally posted by Merman
Hello,
I recently made some soft weights. Basically, they consist of fiberglass screen sewed into pouches into wich I added reclaimed lead shot.
My question: Anything wrong with this? I think I can count on the durablility, but need I be concerned about the lead?
Thanks
Seems to be less than satisfactory in my experience...
Better to put the shot in old socks first so it doesn't dribble out of the holes in the screen when the stretch or tear...
Another thing that I didn't like is the way the lead oxidized and weeped leaded milk out all over the deck after a dive...

Sock trick... fill a sock 1/4 full with shot... twist and then pull sock back over itself and the trapped shot... twist again and pull it over again... hope it stays...

Thanks for the reply...
How are these weights any different than what one might buy in his LDS?

Thanks for the reply...
How are these weights any different than what one might buy in his LDS?
Do they sell shot~n~socks at your LDS???

I was just suggesting that you might want to encase the shot in something (socks for example) before putting it into your mesh belt so you don't end up with a mess on the floor everywhere you go.

I doubled up the screen, and made the sections diagonal to one another, and used #4 shot. Have used them on a few dives so far, no problems really, besides some cloudy runoff. My question, to be more specific, is how is this lead different from what you might buy at the LDS?

how is this lead different from what you might buy at the LDS?
I don't know that it is... I've seen the milk from store bought ones too... but most soft weights are using a smaller shot size IIRC...

I have used old nylons that have been left at my house --- I kind of wish there were some more opportunities for making weights but I am out of material (any female volunteers to forget some nylons?)

back to the original point....
Like UP said fold it over repeatedly and you will have a nice clean soft weight for a whole lot less than seasoft.

I like the plastic bag idea but suspect air trapped in side would compress and rupture the bag.

Or you could just buy the bags w/o the lead and add your own lead. (not to advertise, but I sell such bags) It's still a lot cheaper than buying from LDS and a whole lot easier than making your own.

Just a thought.

Originally posted by tholt576
Or you could just buy the bags w/o the lead and add your own lead. (not to advertise, but I sell such bags) It's still a lot cheaper than buying from LDS and a whole lot easier than making your own.

Just a thought.

I bought some of your bags and they worked great. I went to a local sporting good shop and bought 50lbs of #5 shot for $20. My buddy this weekend needed a little extra weight to get down, so we shoved a 2lbs weight in each of his BC pockets, and he was good to go.

Ty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom