Homemade Soft Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the dive shop I used to work at would buy the weight pockets without lead and we would go buy a few bags of Lead Shot from the Gun Store next door . The sock trick works pretty well also,

Eric

Hi divers,

here is a cheap way to make dive weights. just get some zip lock storage bags and fill them full of sand. double bag it. if you find that you are overweighted on a dive than you can open up the baggie and dump out some of the weight. regards mec

Maybe i'm slow but why exactly do you need that fiberglass in soft weights?

thanks

jaak:
Maybe i'm slow but why exactly do you need that fiberglass in soft weights?

thanks

what Merman was talking about when he said "fiberglass screen" was he used fiberglass screen that you buy to screen a door or window. you cut the screen about 3 or 4 inches square and then sew 2 pieces together to make a pouch (bag) to put the lead in.

steve

Whitelightnin:
You can buy COPPER PLATED lead shot & it won't "milk". It is a little more expensive & harder to find but it is around.

Only problem is it will probably turn green on you so definatly double bag it. That green stuff will get gooey and ooze thru your mesh....icky

i used some material from the garden shopused for recovering chairs. umbrellas window's. also try using your vaccumn sealer too. boy you can work thatsealer like a sewing machine. when you are done you have a hard weight and with just a prick of a pin you have it soft and ready to put in your fiber or nylon bags.

tholt576:
Or you could just buy the bags w/o the lead and add your own lead. (not to advertise, but I sell such bags) It's still a lot cheaper than buying from LDS and a whole lot easier than making your own.

Just a thought.

Tom am interested in the bags and some otterbox's. where is the store and/or a phone number ?
Charles
Oak Island, NC

wannabe:
I like the plastic bag idea but suspect air trapped in side would compress and rupture the bag.
How about plastic bagging it with one of those vacuum packers you can now buy for domestic packing of food for freezing?

Cheers,

K.

Back
Top Bottom