Holy Smokes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bands WORK. Just remember to take the thing off before you suit up and get in the water; they're too expensive to subject to hyperbaric testing (hint: they DO NOT survive it.)

I'll have to get some of the Powerade; I'm usually pretty immune to the barfs, but we frequently have people on board my boat who aren't.

It would be interesting to test the Powerade over a variety of people in a variety of cicumstances. I'm tellin' ya, it worked that day like nothing I've ever tried. Truly bizarre!

Wouldn't it be cool to find out that it worked for most people?

I've seen the bands here and there... Even puchased a pair of the plain, non-electric type. I haven't ever tried them. The electric ones I figured I'd get some recommendations on before shelling out $100 on something that might not work (like lots of other things in scuba). :D

The "accupressure" bands are cheap and for some people they work - about half. I keep a bunch of those on the boat too (they're all of a few bucks a set.)

The electrical ones are the ONLY remedy I've found that actually works once you're already sick. All the others - from pills to bands to whatever - may work BEFORE you get ill, but once you're green, they either do nothing or make it worse.

The band will take someone who is puking their guts out and within a few minutes of turning it on its like nothing ever happened.

I've seen only ONE person (out of a LOT who have tried it) that it didn't work for.

I am the queen of seasick remedies. I can never tell what will or won't work. Sometimes I can get by and be fine. Then all of a sudden when least expectied wham. I do know that after several days of dives at the end of a dive trip I am very susceptable due to the water in my ears. Especially, when I am packing up my gear and have to bend over while the boat is swaying or moving off.

That being said I have never tried Powerade, but a few things that have worked well and will actually resolve the queasies for me are 1) I always start at home one week before drying out my ears with my decongestants, also opens up the eustachian tubes for better clearing 2) I start taking Bonine a week ahead, then 24 hours ahead I put on the Transderm patch, well worth the money spent on the Rx. 3) In the morning or the night before depends on if I am on a liveaboard or not I take 1/2 a phenergan tablet. Usually, with this there is no nausea whatever the seas. Now on rare occassions, I have had to take another 1/4 to 1/2 of a phenergan every six hours. Fortunately, I have tested this out and know that this amount does not make me drowsy, I do not recommend anyone using this until they know how it affects them. For me it works. If I have to take a full dose or 25mg, I do not dive. I go on to bed and sleep it off. I have done that on the return trips across the Gulfstream coming home from the Bahamas. I also, recently have used the seabands, the accupressure cheap ones. With them if combined with the applied pressure to the pulse point and a constant watch on a fixed object on the horizon it has worked miracles for me. Nausea has disappeared not to return. On one trip though I had to stay seated and keep my eyes on the condos along West Palm Beach all the way back to the dock, but I was not really feeling to bad, unless I were to stop with the pressure and shore watching.

I also have drank Ginger Ale, ate crackers, sat with my feet in the water all kinds of things. Mostly just do whatever works. I think things change and I have to keep on trying whatever to get through it. My brother does not understand why, I keep going back for more, I told him the diving makes up for all that yuk!

Lew-SeaJay that wasnt Lime Poweraide.... Truth is i took Seasick pills and Vitimans that morning and while you were buying the T-Shirts i drank the Lime Poweraide then that made me have to relieve myself and with nowhere else to go i had to in the bottle Sorry Buddy I Forgot to Tell You :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom