Holy Smokes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay:
Man... Amazing weather tonight in the islands...

Sustained 33 knot wind. Gusts to 39 knots.

Seas are nearly 11 feet tonight. 11 feet! :dropmouth:

LOL

For *real* action, you could have come out to Pt. arena, not far from Monterey...

W WINDS 15 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS TO 30 KT...BECOMING
10 TO 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 23 TO 32 FT EVERY
17 SECONDS. SHOWERS WITH ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

--Sean

SeaJay:
11' from the bottom of the trough to the top of the crest.

But the most I've done is about 8'... I haven't been out on a night like tonight... I can't imagine!

Might be fun on a jetski, though. :D

We're up to 11.5 feet now... But the period's down to 8 seconds... This is coming from your direction, Genesis... From the land. Isn't that bizarre? To think that they're getting up to 11.5 feet in about 17 miles! (The buoy is offshore 17 miles, and the wind direction is NE @ 29-37 knots!)
I've been on 6 footers (Lake waves) with my waverunners. What a blast. I always go out with a friend when it's like that. We keep one tucked behind a cove and blast away with the other, taking turns. I don't know how many times I've nose dived into the second or third wave and been ripped off the machine. You have to locate the machine after you flip your eye lids back over. It's more fun when the lake is flat and cruiser comes out of the marina digging like crazy. Some of them produce a very predictable wake.

I had a guy on one of those waterrats nearly land in my cockpit last summer coming in the Inlet here.

Those guys are NUTS.

Genesis:
I had a guy on one of those waterrats nearly land in my cockpit last summer coming in the Inlet here.

Those guys are NUTS.
Unfortunitily Jet Skis (wave runners) have become a major issue in and of themselves. Inconsiderate riders do dumb things like that which gives the sport a bad name and make it difficult for us law abiding riders. The stories I could tell!

What ever SeaJay aka Lew aka Pukey Boy aka Chummy aka Dr Vomit aka Chucky aka Mr i dont remember eating corn. aka Capt Seasick in a bath tub aka He gets seasick looking at a glass of water aka He pukes red tide.... Picture this---- its a beautiful Key Largo Morning on our way to Puke the Grove. Well he puked it and I dove it. Those 3 foot seas can really get to a Diver ......ha ha ha ha ha ha :) It was a good dive the puke brings the fish in closer... No Wonder there is no vis up there...... signed I now Don't need to feed the fish Sabo

oh my god, debbie... that is SOOOOO gross!!

We've been out in 6 to 8 foot seas on Lake Huron and Georgian Bay, with both our previous 23 foot and our current 26 foot sailboat. Not sure of the period, but not a bad ride. I've seen power boats out there with us and the ride is totally different and I seriously wouldnt want to be out there in most of them. For me the hairy part is when you get close to shore (since that's where the harbour is). I've phot around someplace that a friend took of our 23 at the top of about a 6 footer by the breakwall. You can just see the front edge of the keel where it joins the hull (and the entire bottom forward of the keel). I was worried I might touch bottom in the troughs. Fortunately I was past the big waves before I had to turn left into the marina.

NitroxDvrFL:
What ever SeaJay aka Lew aka Pukey Boy aka Chummy aka Dr Vomit aka Chucky aka Mr i dont remember eating corn. aka Capt Seasick in a bath tub aka He gets seasick looking at a glass of water aka He pukes red tide.... Picture this---- its a beautiful Key Largo Morning on our way to Puke the Grove. Well he puked it and I dove it. Those 3 foot seas can really get to a Diver ......ha ha ha ha ha ha :) It was a good dive the puke brings the fish in closer... No Wonder there is no vis up there...... signed I now Don't need to feed the fish Sabo

Hahahahahaaaaa!!!!

Yes, yes... It's true. I puked on a trip to the 'Grove a couple of months ago. Lol...

Lessee if we can recap the incident exactly as it happened, starting from the beginning, shall we? Not like you told it, Mr. "Whipped" Sabo. :D Mr. "Ohhhh, I can't... I have responsibilities." Mr. "I dove it while you puked it." Who was the first one in the water? Who was the last out? I thought so! Talk to the hand. Lol...

It started out with two hours of sleep... Actually, I think it was more like an hour and a half. I drove all the way down to see my bud because my bud was too lazy to come up to see me.

But that's cool... It was warmer where he was anyway. :D

Yes, yes, I do seem to remember getting your woman to drag yo' butt out of bed... Lol...

On an hour and a half's sleep, we got into "cop motor, cop tires, cop suspension" Jeff's car and BOLTED down to Key Largo at oh-dot-thirty in the morning. Most normal people would have puked in the car on that exit ramp near the airport. :D

Hours later we were heading offshore in a 31' dive boat... I asked the captain about the seas, since I was already familiar with the forecast of 6'-8' swells. "Naaaah, not on this side of the island. We should be in like 3' seas, max." I shoulda known better than to listen to the captain. I thought he might have had a clue.

It was when he snagged the first buoy-ball on the wreck and he got his boat sideways to the swells that I first felt my stomach churn. When he realized that he was on the wrong ball and did it again the second time, I turned green. 3-footers, my butt! I coulda stood in those troughs and not touched the bottom of the boat. There were plenty of four-footers, but the occassional train of six and eight-footers was there, too.

That's when he decided it was a good idea for us all to sit down and talk about the dive plan. I shut up and listened, and that's when you asked me if I was okay.

"No, I'm gonna puke. But it don' bother me none." I hung my head over the side and continued to listen to Captain Clueless.

When he heard me heave, he stopped for a moment. I looked up at him, sideways. "What? (HUUNNHH!) Keep talking. Don't mind me. I'll (HUUNNHH!) (spit) be over it in a moment. I'm still listening."

He looked at me like puking should actually make me think twice about diving. :D

I still get sick on boats... It seems like the bigger and more "swell" the waves are, the more they bother me. I took meds that morning, but I just think that no sleep, a bad diet the day before, and then the waves were too much for me to handle. No biggie, though. It never stopped me before... Even when i thought I was gonna die. Lol...

Underwater, of course, the feeling completely goes away.

Unlike most circumstances, though, surface interval made me sick too. That was a little weird.

...But what was even weirder was the cure. We all know that once seasick, you either puke and it's over or you are near-dead for the rest of the day. Meds can prevent it, but once sick, they don't seem to do a bit of good. Once I've crossed the vomit-boundary, I rarely come back, and simply have trained myself to ignore it.

...Anyway, the cure... Powerade. The Lime one. I've drank soda, water, tea, lemonade, Gatorade, and even Pepto-Bismol as a "please make me unsick" cure... But it's never had one bit of effect on me. In fact, in many cases it's made me sicker.

Not the Powerade. I'm not kidding. I've never felt anything like it before. I was sitting on the stern of that pitching boat feeling like lost souls were calling me to my grave, and you handed me that Powerade and said something about getting rid of the taste of seawater and breakfast... I mean, it was like one gulp, and I was instantly 90% cured. Ten minutes later, I couldn't believe it... It was like I hadn't been sick at all.

I even visited the cubby a few minutes after that... You know, the one place NOT to be on a boat when you're sick. No problems at all.

Anyway, I learned something. Powerade. Lime. I don't care much for Dramamine, Triptone works somewhat, Bonine (which I took that morning) seems to work best for me, and Scolopamine (or whatever you call it) is expensive and available only by prescription... But Powerade... I'm taking that stuff with me on all my boat trips.

Anyone else tried this stuff for seasickness?

Nope, but I might have to.

The only thing I've found that works with near 100% reliability on everyone who has tried it is the Relief Band. Its a little $100ish watch-like device that goes on "backwards" and shocks the nerves that connect to your puke center in your brain.

My g/f gets sick if she LOOKS at the boat. The ONLY thing that works for her is the Band, and she's tried it all.

I keep one on the boat for just such emergencies. :D

I don't normally have a problem with the hurlies, but if something breaks offshore and I have to go down in a 130F engine room in 6' seas, well, all bets are off.

Heh. No doubt. Something about the wafting fragrance of diesel combined with stifling heat and humidity... The smell of dank, polluted air and a little motion to get things amiss with the sense of balance...

Aw, jeez... Even talking about it makes me ill. :D

I suppose I'll get used to it one day. Staying on smaller boats - even in larger waves - seems to help me a bit (unlike what common sense would dictate). It seems that I can handle the pounding, it's the rolling that bothers me.

...But I'm not gonna give up boat diving because I get ill from time to time. Hope I get used to it.

You'll have to let me know, Gen, if the Lime Powerade does it for you guys... Maybe it somehow neutralizes stomach acid? I dunno...

I've seen those bands around. I'll give them a shot.

I think I've found a correlation between the amount of sleep I get the night before and how sick I get on the boat, too. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom