Holy Hose Routing...... Can Someone Help Me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its true, but in my experience, if you LOOK at 10 divers with a nice perfectly trimmed and streamlined configuration, the differences will be minimal.

Dunno what you call "minimal", but I can see major differences between let's say Edd Sorenson and Steve Martin...

I agree with part of what Stu said, namely: the necklace being too long, attaching the inflator a bit away.

I'd also have both reg hoses coming around the neck, with an angle adapter on one of them (short hose). The hose would most likely have to come out the "top" of the 1st stage though. Other reg is hog looped (just make sure you don't get everything entangled when you're doing the loop, else you'll look silly when doing an S-drill)

Thanks guys Im gonna play with it this weekend and will send back updates. But real quick what are ways you all attach tour Inflator Hose.

Also anyone have an answer for the position of my valve handles. The left one I cant get to if I had to feather or shut down. Should i just not use the dive rite travel straps

But real quick what are ways you all attach tour Inflator Hose.

I attach a small loop of bungee to the ring of a small bolt snap, then loop the bungee around the inflate, clip bolt snap off to chest D ring. Altering the size of the bungee loop changes where the inflator sits.

Also anyone have an answer for the position of my valve handles. The left one I cant get to if I had to feather or shut down. Should i just not use the dive rite travel straps

I'm not familiar with the travel straps, but I just use Jubilee bands with a bolt snap for the lower attachment point and loop bungee for the upper connection. This makes it very easy to alter do your valves sit where you want them. Depending on the cylinders you use, the thickness of the bungee may vary. I usually dive steel 12L cylinders at home, so I use a thicker 8mm bungee. It works just fine for Ali 80 cylinders when I'm traveling too, but if I used them at home, I'd probably use 6mm bungee instead. It's also light weight and travel friendly too.

If you are using the dive rite travel bands are you using the chokers to hold the top clip to the back of the valve?

Position your lower tank snaps so that both the valve handles point outwards, not up. That will get things sorted for your bungies whether you use ring bungies or loops. Next, it looks like you have 1 Hog reg with 5th port at the base. That's great. Point the base toward your body and use short lp hose for your inflator. On the other reg, if it doesn't have a 5th port, try to get the shortest straightest hose route to your drysuit inflator
From there, positioning the reg hoses will come easier and you can decide exactly how you want them based on suggestions here and your training.
sidemount_drawing_zoom.gif this shows how the inflators can be routed, (ignore the brand, it's the 5th port we're looking at). The hose routing is pretty common as well, though opinions will vary

pic_1_54225.jpg this pic gives a rough idea of where to position the lower bolt snaps. Both your handles will point out when they're set right.

I'm not sure how you're hanging your tanks to the upper d's, but a paracord loop and boltsnap work best for me. This works well for supporting the tanks when I'm out of the water and keeping the neck in place until I can bungie it

Last edited:
1. Right (as worn) cylinder feeds 7' long hose. Hose routes up and around the neck (hog loop). Very snug.

2. Left (as worn) cylinder feeds short hose. Mine is 32".Routes up from armpit and around neck onto bungee necklace. Again, as per hog loop.

3. Bungee necklace should hold regulator second stage under chin, not dangling down on chest. Tighten it.

4. LPI can route, via bungee, to opposite shoulder D-Ring. This raises it.

5. Drysuit inflator routes horizontally across upper stomach.

6. Shoulder D-rings raised so they sit just below the collar bones.

Get appropriate length hoses... especially the short reg hose and LPI.... for your body size..

I found this is consistently applicable in open water, deco or overhead diving. It retains procedural muscle memory from diving backmount long hose... and remains intuitive and understandable within mixed teams.

I've dived this configuration for 7 years, including some very restricted wreck penetrations... No issues with entanglement.... and the long hose configuration allows some advanced techniques like trailing via ankle clip for very tight holes...

Last edited:
1. Left cylinder feeds long hose. Hose routes up and around the neck (hog loop). Very snug.

2. Right cylinder feeds short hose. Routes up from armpit and around neck onto bungee necklace. Again, as per hog loop.

This bothers me. What's the reasoning behind it? This makes you use a reversible second stage on your short hose, no?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom