Hollis tx1 computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octopusprime

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if anyone here has used the Hollis tx1 computer? I am looking for a new computer. Much of my diving is rec no deco but looking at starting tecrec40. I'm usually wearing heavy gloves or dry gloves and wondering if it is easy to nav buttons in heavy gloves ?

I'll be the first to chime in........a lot of TEC courses use cut profiles and bottom timers. I happen to use a petrel 2 as a bottom timer [emoji6]. If your diving cold, low vis water it's hard to beat a petrel. It's just a couple hundred more but so much more of a computer.

I've used a Vytec with thick gloves and its a pain.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one and it is easy to use with dry gloves.

The display is not big and bright enough IMO. The retail around 650 without transmitters which is cheaper than a Petrel. However, the Petrel IMO is still the better device. Will the tx1 do the job? Yes.

I looked at the petral and it is nice. But I find my self $100 upgrading myself. I keep hearing myself say..."if I'm going to spend that much I might as well spend $100 more and get..." If I was going to do 20 multi gas dives it would be the one. Most of my dives will be single gas non deco dives.

Most of my dives will be single gas non deco dives.

I did many test dives with the TX1 and it will do the job... but you may find the Petrel worth the investment especially if you believe you may do more "tech" later on... also, there are several information screens on the Petrel that are useful during your dive. I particularly like the tissue loading graphics in Bulhmann mode.

GRADIENTSsHEARWATER.jpg

Also like the fact that the display is bright enough to exit a cave with no other lights on! LOL

I did many test dives with the TX1 and it will do the job... but you may find the Petrel worth the investment especially if you believe you may do more "tech" later on... also, there are several information screens on the Petrel that are useful during your dive. I particularly like the tissue loading graphics in Bulhmann mode.

View attachment 202871

Also like the fact that the display is bright enough to exit a cave with no other lights on! LOL

LOL... I never thought of it as a backup light LOL.

I have a tx1 ...like it but i think the petrel is a better unit. The extra $400 was the selling point (need to upgrade my light as well). Drygloves on 20 dives with it no problems at all, and got me in and out of deco. If you are in my predicament $$$ i'd say go for it

Like others have said, agreed, TX1 will do the job. However, if you got a couple of extra bucks, go with the Petrel! Brighter screen, more user friendly, do it right the first time around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom