Hollis DG03 vs. Oceanic VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Kim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in buying my husband a wrist mounted computer. We will be doing sidemount diving and will also transition into the PADI Tech 40 course. After looking at the Hollis DG03 and Oceanic VT3, I've noticed that the only real different is the decompression algorithms The Hollis DG03 uses the Pelagic Z+ with deep stop and the Oceanic VT3 has both the Pelagic DSAT and Pelagic Z+.

1.) Are there any other real difference between these computers?
2.) Does anyone have any recommendations for which one I should purchase?

I'm interested in one of these comps. :bounce2:

They are both made by the same company, and the VT3 only does DSAT. The Z+ is better for tech but I would go with a suunto or shearwater computer. I don't think either one is a true deco meter. I haven't had the chance to put the Z+ into a heavy deco dive yet.

Sorry, but hands down the best Tec computers on the market are made by Shearwater & Liquivision. You can't beat how intuitive they are and of course the display. My recommendation would be the Shearwater Petrel. I disagree with using the Suunto. Just finished up a Tec student this past weekend and Suunto had another 10min to go when Liquivision & Shearwater already cleared. Just way too conservative, not saying it is a terrible thing but if in lumpy seas and have done enough deco with conservatism built into that (deco software), why stay longer then you have too.

Sorry, but hands down the best Tec computers on the market are made by Shearwater & Liquivision. You can't beat how intuitive they are and of course the display. My recommendation would be the Shearwater Petrel. I disagree with using the Suunto. Just finished up a Tec student this past weekend and Suunto had another 10min to go when Liquivision & Shearwater already cleared. Just way too conservative, not saying it is a terrible thing but if in lumpy seas and have done enough deco with conservatism built into that (deco software), why stay longer then you have too.

Wow, I could buy three for the cost of the Shearwater.

Maybe expensive but worth it for the comfort it brings you in the water. Unfortunately, there is nothing cheap about Tec Diving:(

Ditto about the Shearwater...If you're going to get serious about Tech and can afford it Shearwater will save you money over the long run....If you can't, ditto what eelnoraa said.....I have a VT3 and use it for casual and shallow cave diving......It's been reliable and easy to use.....Go to 'leisurepro.com' and google the posts here on SB to see reviews.....Seems to be a well liked computer.........

I have the Aeris Elite T3 which is a slightly older version of these two computers.

It's a nice rec computer. I don't know squat about deco diving, but I do know that I'd be using a true blued tech computer to do tech diving instead of a rec computer to do tech diving.

Of course I do rec diving with a tech computer - Hollis DG05 (aka VR Technology VRx). Why? because of the cool colors.

Just to clarify: my husband and I only plan to do the PADI Tec 40 class. Staying within 130 feet, using mixed gasses, no lengthy decompressions. We aren't planning to do anything further than that. The Shearwater and Liquivision seem like overkill for that level.

Does anyone have experience with the Hollis DG03 and care to give their opinions about it? My husband is seriously considering this one.

By the way...I work for Leisurepro...hahaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom