Hollis DC1/112 or Apeks XTX 50/DST

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Give the hollis 500se a look, side mount compatible. Works very well i have one and just love it.
Maybe this is utterly stupid of me, and I beg your pardon if you believe it is so ... but:

What makes one first-stage more "sidemount compatible" than another?

I mean, am I a total waste-of-oxygen for using my Mares MR12 first-stages for sidemount? And if so, WHY?

Honestly I am not th expert to address your question, but from what I gather it's about convenience more than anything. I know MK25 would fit perfectly as it has swivel turret and I am wondering if the hose routing would be an issue. Nevertheless I think I'll convert my existing MK25 to DIN and buy additional pair to match 1st stage.

That leaves me with deciding 2nd stage and how important is L/R interchangeability.

I mean, am I a total waste-of-oxygen for using my Mares MR12 first-stages for sidemount? And if so, WHY?

If you are happy with the hose routing, why not? I use one on my right side for the long hose. I think it breathes as well as my atx 200 on the left. And no plastic!
I don't even use the DFC port as I prefer the hose and spg pointed down.
Cheers

Free flowing with Hollis seems to be a general thing as I've read a lot of those about them. Unfortunately I have Mk25/S600 yoke for my back mount, but was wondering what to do with them when I go side mount. I hear yoke doesn't work well with Sidemount.

I've been using my old Mares MR12 yoke-mount first stages for sidemount and I haven't noticed any major problems. My situation, though, is that I dive on vacation, using the dive-center's tanks. If I show up with DIN regs and all they have are yoke-valve tanks ... well, if a yoke mount were a problem with sidemount, DIN regs with yoke adapters would be an even bigger problem.

My well-meaning if little-educated advice would be, give the yoke regs a try in sidemount. If you decide to go DIN, ScubaPro has a conversion kit for your existing regs, at probably 1/10 of the cost of a whole first stage.

(On edit: I see you've gotten the DIN conversion kit for your Mk25 regs. Good move.)

Last edited:
@b1gf00t If you already have a mk25 set and you just need an extra first stage, hop on Ebay and grab a Mk25 first stage. You can buy din conversion kits readily and that makes the most sense. No sense in buying new regs when you can use your own

Give the hollis 500se a look, side mount compatible. Works very well i have one and just love it.

The 500se has a horrible first stage for sidemount though if it came with the DCX first stage *5 port swivel turret* it would be better. The 5th port is not necessary in sidemount despite what the Razor crowd claims and can only be used with the valves of your tanks in your armpits. The swivel turret is nice for air sharing drills, and while I would not recommend buying first stages without swivels, if you already have useful first stages, it isn't enough to warrant buying new ones. The 500se second stage is nice because it is non-directional which is useful in sidemount, far more so than the lefty/righty configuration from Apeks and now Dive Rite *that is most useful for right side stage/deco bottles* and presents a safety issue if used in a single file air share scenario because the hose now has to cross under the lead diver.

If you can afford it, the Apeks are brilliant! Easy to Service and bombproof construction.

I find it odd that Hollis hasn't offered up some sort of defence of their product.

I dive Hollis regs. No issues. Plastic second stage parts (like many others) is a fair argument. Free flowing? Never had it happen to mine, but I imagine a simple adjustment is all that's needed. (Again, like many others.)

Back
Top Bottom