Sidemount/double config - XTX50/DST or MTX-R or MTX-RC ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@MasterMindDiver

I already had the Apeks regs. One I had bought new in box here for about $150 below retail and the other I won at an event. So I got mine very cheap. I did have the 5th port added later. If I was starting from scratch, I’d probably go with the Dive Rite regs. They are similar to the Apeks DST with the fifth port and rotating turret. I got a sidemount set of DGX in November for $718 - $180 off regular price. Even without the sale, $899 for the SM set compared to the Apeks SM set, which is about $1600 or so, is a huge bargain. I’m going to split the DR set into a deco reg and a backup for Apeks SM regs.

People here like Deep6 a lot. I preferred to pay a bit more for Dive Rite as the company has been around since the 80s. I’m not into servicing my regs myself.

i heard that the dive rite is good , but did not try it yet , not sure if it breath similar to apeks. i bought the service kit already for apeks and will be servicing it myself, because the last time i serviced it in the local dive shop , it did not breath as before the service and they did not tighten up well and ended up with loose DIN attachment and it cost half the price that i paid for the 1st stage and second stage combined :( .

i heard that the DGX is good , but did not try it yet , not sure if it breath similar to apeks. i bought the service kit already for apeks and will be servicing it myself, because the last time i serviced it in the local dive shop , it did not breath as before the service and they did not tighten up well and ended up with loose DIN attachment and it cost half the price that i paid for the 1st stage and second stage combined :( .

DGX is the dive gear website. Dive Rite is the brand. The Dive Rite reg breathes just fine. I also know a bunch of divers who use them without issue.

DGX is the dive gear website. Dive Rite is the brand. The Dive Rite reg breathes just fine. I also know a bunch of divers who use them without issue.

correct , i bought some components for the service kit from DGX before , just got confused while replying back :D.
if that is the case , then i might think of Dive Rite , but i will need to double check as well if i will be able to get the service kit for them too :D.

thanks a lot @tbone1004 ! for sharing your recommendation. I agree , prices are not going down for a while for this reg :D.

Regards

It's not that they're expensive, it's that they are something like 10-15% more expensive in the US market than they are in Europe which is irritating

@MasterMindDiver

I already had the Apeks regs. One I had bought new in box here for about $150 below retail and the other I won at an event. So I got mine very cheap. I did have the 5th port added later. If I was starting from scratch, I’d probably go with the Dive Rite regs. They are similar to the Apeks DST with the fifth port and rotating turret. I got a sidemount set of DGX in November for $718 - $180 off regular price. Even without the sale, $899 for the SM set compared to the Apeks SM set, which is about $1600 or so, is a huge bargain. I’m going to split the DR set into a deco reg and a backup for Apeks SM regs.

People here like Deep6 a lot. I preferred to pay a bit more for Dive Rite as the company has been around since the 80s. I’m not into servicing my regs myself.

Dive Rite imports their regs from Taiwan as well, I'm not sure I'd use a companies historic legacy as a buying criteria when they don't actually manufacture their own regulators. This applies to essentially everyone except Poseidon, Scubapro, Apeks, Aqualung, and Mares. I'm sure I'm missing someone else, but essentially everyone else is important at least part of their regulators from the big OEM's in Taiwan, and yes that includes Atomic.

i heard that the dive rite is good , but did not try it yet , not sure if it breath similar to apeks. i bought the service kit already for apeks and will be servicing it myself, because the last time i serviced it in the local dive shop , it did not breath as before the service and they did not tighten up well and ended up with loose DIN attachment and it cost half the price that i paid for the 1st stage and second stage combined :( .

then you got raped by your service technicians, go find another dive shop...

Dive Rite is going to be functionally identical to Apeks

great notes , thanks a lot for highlighting it!.
i saw FSR and i might plan to buy it in the future to dedicate it to BM diving , and for the time being i was thinking to use DST for both (side mounting and back mounting and adjust the hoses as needed). i saw multiple people using it and they place it 45 degrees for better hose routing as follow:

View attachment 637188

was thinking to do the same for either DST or MTX-RC till i decide if will do much of back mount diving with twinset , then i might go for the FSR or Tek3.

Regards

Hey! Those are my HOG DS1s....not Apeks, but close.

then you got raped by your service technicians, go find another dive shop...

Dive Rite is going to be functionally identical to Apeks

the other dive shops which service apeks are 100+ miles away and i would need to ship the regulator (round trip) .. that's why i decided to do it myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom