Holbox diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GioPuma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,
I am planning a trip to mexico this summer and I am looking into a stay in Holbox Island. Other than the (exciting) whale shark snorkeling trip, I was not able to find any info on local diving. What's up with that? Bad vis? protected areas?

As soon as you turn the corner to the left at Cancun the ocean is different. There is a point we have gone to way up north from Cancun where locals go to swim. The sandy point extends way out into the sea. On the east side is the blue clear Caribbean. On the west side is the brown cloudy gulf. Everywhere we have gone out to the ocean west of Cancun has had the same brown water. Holbox, El Cuyo, Progresso, all the same. I have never been out at sea in those areas, but I suspect it is similar.

No diving worth a crap in Holbox/El Cuyo/Progresso/etc. Gulf of Mexico water and no reef.

Personally, I think Holbox has turned into a douchebag touristy "social influencer" hellhole, but whatever does it for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom