Hola from Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last night we ate at La Cacoy, best food we,ve enjoyed this trip so far, wow! Elegant atmosphere with beautiful presentation of all food and drink. I had the grilled fish of the day and fooman had the skirt steak w potatoes, we all shared appetizers with each other, and were very impressed. It also had AC which we really needed that night!

Our 3rd diving day was spent at El Cedral and Chankanaab reefs, 2 wonderful, take-it-easy aquarium dives. There was virtually no current on Chankanaab, my first time to experience that on Coz. Enjoyed it immensely though, as we really had time to stay and look at the small things... but also saw big things! Two huge turtles, a very nice nurse shark cruising, huge lobster, parrotfish, grouper, biggest puffer we,ve ever seen and oh yes- ANOTHER SEAHORSE!! Two great dives, followed by lunch at the resort, then pooltime in the shade, enjoying strawberry daquiries (will have to go back to Texas for a good margarita...) and just hanging out with friends. Great cloud cover so was nice and cool day. Went to eat at la Perlita, another standout in our books now! Had the grilled buttered shrimp, and shared a shrimp cocktail with Fooman, oohlala! Finished off the night with the cursory visit to Carlos and Charlies, actually was a great time as it wasn,t crowded at all and our friends hadn,t been before, had a blast! One more nightcap at the hotel bar, and we all retired to sleep in this morning, as we,re not diving today. Can,t figure out this keyboard too well, so sorry for the weird punctuation and mistakes. Hope everyone is doing great, will post again asap!

Can you tell that the Foo likes her food? Haha, I re-read this and it seems to be my main topic... lol.

Sorry you folks are having to put up with all that blue clear salty water.....man I don't see how you stand it! Not to mention food fit for a king or such. Look there is help available for you guys at CSSP. :eyebrow:

Time flies when you are in paradise, sorry I havent posted much lately! Our day off from diving Wednesday was spent relaxing by the pool, shopping, and eating, duh. Dinner in town was at Guidos, Italian cuisine that was excellent.

The next morning we were happy to get up early and see our boat waiting for us when we crossed the street to our hotel pier. This time we headed waaaaay south to Punta Sur, where Fooman did the Devils Throat with one dm. The rest of us did the PS dive, oh my what a gorgeous dive that was! This was huge coral formations, swim thrus, not a lot of fish that I remember due to the depth (105 max for me) but a very relaxing yet thrilling dive. We followed with a s.i. at a beach, then dived Columbia Shallows for our 2nd dive. I think it was Firefyter who said he could do that dive every day and be happy, and I have to wholeheartedly agree. Very little current, aquarium dive teeming with life! Turtles, huge parrotfish, all the little guys, splendid toadfish and MORE SEAHORSES!! I also spotted a large spotted ray resting under a ledge, stayed and watched him for quite some time, beautiful! We spent the rest of the day playing at the pool and ate that night at Chi (Chinese- yes, I know what youre thinking... Chinese in Cozumel???- but it was a great change and very delicious food with massive portions, should have shared as we have no fridge at our resort.) We walked off the belly swell before catching a cab back to the resort and crashing.

Yesterday was our last dive day- we went to Santa Rosa wall, and I believe it may be my favorite deep dive now- the last time I did it 2 yrs ago, the current was loco, moving south at an extremely high clip, we thumbed after 15-20 mins that day. The two guys that finished the dive with the dm said they saw 4 reefs in 30 mins, and were sucked to 90 ft during their safety stop. This time was very different, the mild current was moving north, swim thrus and corals were magnificent, saw turtles (ah yes!) and other wildlife... our surface interval was on the boat this time, and we finished with a wonderful dive at Punta Tunich, which Fooman had logged in his book two years ago to be sure and return to this reef- wow am I glad we did!! We saw huge octopus, lobster out on the open sand, a nurse shark at least 2 feet wide at the head, 7-8 ft moray, turtles, seahorse, toadfish, all the usual suspects, and it was just a perfect dive, mild current sweeping us along. Our newbie friends were all feeling it by this point, noone is ready to be finished diving, but alas... that is life! We returned to LaCocay for dinner last night, great food, r & r band followed by a fabulous jazz band. Today we are renting cars to go around the island, followed by the booze cruise tonight!! Will continue...

Sorry to miss you TSD out of your norm in that clear blue water. Glad you saved me a margarita ....................4 days and counting and I will be hanging with those good folks of Mexico diving everyday.

:D

We have arrived back on terra firma in the good ol' U.S of A. tonight, at a friends house now, using his computer with a 26" flatscreen monitor, WOW. Very cool. Anyway, we slept in a little while yesterday, then rented a Durango for the day, and went to the wild side of the island... stopped quite a few times on the way around to Mezcalitos and ate there. Too much fun to explain, so I won't even try, but it is beautiful over there, and was my first time to see that side. We did a little shopping on our way around, hit the pharmacia, then took quick showers back at the hotel before heading to the ferry pier to catch the Fury catamaran for a special sunset tour to benefit the Humane Society on Coz.

The sunsets on the island are not to be missed, and we met many of the H.S. members on the cruise, a great majority of whom are Americans or other nationalitys who have moved to Coz from other parts of the world. We went to the Plaza again after the cruise and did some last minute shopping while listening to the band on the square. We finished the evening by going to our hotel pool, sipping Bahama Mamas and chilling out, knowing we were spending our last evening there.

Today we at one last time at Rockin Java, (yummmm) and one last pineapple popsicle from the Mega (yummmmmmmmmmmmer) and headed back to the hotel to check out and hang out until taking our cab to the aeroporte. One of the couples in our party volunteered to be bumped from our overbooked flight and remained on the island with another night at the Park Royal (very nice place) with all inclusive, free transfers and $500 flight vouchers for future use. Sweet. Fooman needed to get back home, and although I threatened to volunteer bump too, I relented and left with him. :) Will post pics asap, I do not have any underwater pics, but plenty of incriminating topside photos. Have a great time, Shawn, sorry we missed you!

Back
Top Bottom