hogs, martin, or dressel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First choice--- Dive with Martin

Second choice thru 149th choice---everyone else except Dressel

150th choice--- Dressel

Jester:
Could you make that a bit clearer? Just what are you trying to say? LOL!

Yeah, divematt! Don't sugar-coat it; tell us what you really think!

Me and the gf are in the middle of planning a Coz trip in late January. We've narrowed the dive op down to DWN, BlueXt and Deep Blue. Who would better in terms of handling a diver with less than ten coldwater, drysuit dives? I'm a little nervous about throwing gf into a 100ft deep wall drift dive.

Thanks

lawofgravity:
Me and the gf are in the middle of planning a Coz trip in late January. We've narrowed the dive op down to DWN, BlueXt and Deep Blue. Who would better in terms of handling a diver with less than ten coldwater, drysuit dives? I'm a little nervous about throwing gf into a 100ft deep wall drift dive.

Thanks

IMO
1. BXTS
2.Deep Blue
3. DWM

in that order.

lawofgravity:

Thanks

Compared to what she's seen so far, Coz should be a cakewalk.

GG, believe me, I've told her several times if she can do coldwater diving in a drysuit, wearing 26 lbs of weight, she'll have no problems in Coz, wearing a shorty, carrying 10 lbs of weight. She still has a slight fear of doing dives where she can't see the bottom, so I'm hoping to find an op that will ease us into things.

lawofgravity:
GG, believe me, I've told her several times if she can do coldwater diving in a drysuit, wearing 26 lbs of weight, she'll have no problems in Coz, wearing a shorty, carrying 10 lbs of weight. She still has a slight fear of doing dives where she can't see the bottom, so I'm hoping to find an op that will ease us into things.

Shouldn't be a prob, and if it is, change ops. Just be sure that the op/DM knows she is a new diver. There are plenty of great shallow (40-60') dives with a bottom there; stick with those the first few dives. Get it straight with the op that that's what you're wanting to do well in advance of getting on the boat.

Once she gets confident with her buoyancy control, then wall dives won't be such a "thing" for her. BTW, on even the wall dives (excepting some of the advanced sites, like Maracaibo, which you'll be staying away from, anyway) you'll start out over a sand bottom in shallow water so you've got plenty of opportunity to tweak your buoyancy before you head out over the abyss.

Also, it's one thing to tell her that she'll be OK; it's another to show her. I predict that once she gets in that warm clear water with minimal (compared to a drysuit, anyway) gear, her reservations will melt away. Even down at 100' or more, you can look up and see your boat. Don't worry, be happy...

ggunn:
Also, it's one thing to tell her that she'll be OK; it's another to show her. I predict that once she gets in that warm clear water with minimal (compared to a drysuit, anyway) gear, her reservations will melt away. Even down at 100' or more, you can look up and see your boat. Don't worry, be happy...

I agree, the initial feelings of fear will fade as soon as she gets a good look at depth. Cozumel is the perfect place for a new diver with the right people at her side! My first OW Sea dive was in Cozumel and I remember I too was anxious, but I remembered what I was taught and it was one of my most memorable dive trips to date!!

wetbehindtheear:
Heading to Iberostar on Dec. 11th for a week, with a newly certified ow diver. not looking for aggressive diving, but 3 or 4 days of comfortable relaxing diving, within ow limits (for the most part). dressel is on site and posts their dives on a schedule so i can pick what sites to dive and won't get stuck with a deep/advanced dive that my buddy won't be comfortable with, but they're more expensive and definitely a cattle boat. hogs and dwm both sound relatively cheap and i hear good things (dove with hogs 2 yrs ago - very pleased).

any recent feedback on suitability for new divers & service?

:clock: If everything is more or less equal, then it seems like the convenience of an on site facility is the way to go. DO you want to haul all of your gear around in a taxi every time you use one of the off site operations? You are staying at a great all inclusive..you might as well make things as easy as possible.
I have personally had great experiences on all but one dive with Dressel. The negative experience was due to too many people in one group on a night dive. Everything was ok..just felt like cattle. On the other hand, I have had 2 bad experiences with Blue Angel. I never dove with Hogs. My best experiences have been with Scuba Caribe. They sub-out the cenote dives with a woman named Bernie. She is a true pro and a pleasure to dive with!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom