Hogarthian Hose Lengths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5 ft is fine for open water. Braided are the best thing since sliced bread for reg and inflator. Rubber for HP. I changed all my regs over to braided a few years ago and would never go back to rubber except for HP.

Tapatalk 2

Answer me this:
1. 5' or 7' on the long hose? I'm going to be doing open water only I recommend 7'
2. I've seen 18"-28" for the backup second stage...would 22" be adequate? Yes (probably)
3. 24" or 26" for SPG? (I'm 5'10" if that matters) 24"
rickthompson:
Finally, what do people think about braided versus rubber?
I have only used braided hoses for very short (6") HP hose needs. I find rubber to be adequate for virtually all hoses. I have dive buddies who swear by braided hoses, I have dive buddies who complain that the longer second stage braided hoses are too 'floaty', I have dive buddies who say they use braided hoses because they are more streamlined, I have dive buddies who say they won't use them because they are not as reliable (after the HP recall) as rubber hoses. Personally, I don't see a need for the extra expense. I set up a couple of sidemount regs with braided 6" HP hoses as an experiment. They work fine, but I don't see any advantage.

As others have said, there is a considerble element of personal preference in the primary second stage length (and a number of 'vigorous' threads on SB on the subject). I happen to dive a 7', on all regs - single and double cylinder configurations - except for one reg that has 'standard' hose lengths, which I use for Confined Water teaching. I am 5'11" and the 7' length works for me. My wife also dives 7' for recreational open water diving (she is 5'6" and the length also works for her).

Also, continuing in the vein of personal preferences, I find 22" to work for MY bungeed second stage. You may have to go through some trial and error to find what works for you. It is less likely that a shorter (20") or longer (26") will be necessary, but . . . For the HP hose, shorter is better than longer.

However, others find that different approaches work well for them. As an illustration, in the picture previously posted, I would find the HP hose to be too long, AND the bungeed second stage hose (and the bungee) to be too long, but that is just me. That is not a criticism of the poster in the picture, merely a re-statement of the point about personal preferences.

What regulator do you have?

On doubles:

7' for primary, 22" for a backup on a reg MK25 style and 24 braded for an mk17 style. 24" for an HP

Thanks everyone for you help! I'll go with the 7' long hose, 22" for backup and 24" for SPG. Anyone know if there are any good hose sales for cyber monday today? Kinda pinching pennies right now and that's like $80 worth of hose...

Do you already own a reg? One strategy that I have is to sell high end brand regs like SP and AL to those who value them and then buy a Hog single tank package for the same price. You get a new, great reg without spending on money.

Thanks everyone for you help! I'll go with the 7' long hose, 22" for backup and 24" for SPG. Anyone know if there are any good hose sales for cyber monday today? Kinda pinching pennies right now and that's like $80 worth of hose...

Pirahna Manufacturing sells DIR sets of all hoses for something like $70

There is no specific or required hose length.

Start with one hose, if it's too long or short then replace it with one that's a better fit.

The goal is a compact arrangement that still allows you to turn your head.

I'm a little late to this thread, but I think it's worth experimenting to find the ideal length for a primary 2nd stage in OW. I have a 5ft and 7ft, and to me the 5ft is WAY more comfortable for OW. The 7ft hose without a can light is very cumbersome by comparison, and the 7ft length is for restrictions anyway.

So, if you're concerned that the 5ft hose is too short, which it is for some people, get a hose coupler and try a few dives joining different lengths. I did this for months before I bought a 5ft hose. You might find that 5'6" or even a little longer is perfect for your torso. Then you can order a hose custom length; it's not that expensive or difficult.

I've never used the braided hoses. I do find their lighter weight attractive, and I can see how it could be more comfortable for the alternate; those short rubber hoses are stiff. BTW, I think many divers would be happy with an alternate 2nd stage 22" hose for single tank, 24" for doubles where it comes off the left post.

I'm an optimist, so I think that eventually most divers will be using a modified hogarthian hose routing with the bungied alternate for OW training. Then we'd have a good assortment of stock lengths, maybe 4" increments from 5 to 7 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom