Hogarthian Hose Lengths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthompson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a recreational diver in the process of assembling a hog rig and had a few questions about hose lengths. I've always been annoyed by the bowing and amount of excess that is present with the traditional recreational hose configuration, so minimizing hose lengths (except for the long hose of course) is something I would love to do, but many sources I've looked at give ranges of suggested lengths.

Answer me this:

1. 5' or 7' on the long hose? I'm going to be doing open water only
2. I've seen 18"-28" for the backup second stage...would 22" be adequate?
3. 24" or 26" for SPG? (I'm 5'10" if that matters)

Finally, what do people think about braided versus rubber? I think I'll definitely steer clear of braided for HP and inflator hose, but what about the regs? I've heard a few people complain about them being uncomfortable on the neck and being a little too positively buoyant to stow nicely while underwater...

Let me know your opinions...

Thanks!

As many answers as days in the years... here's my opinion.

#1 Many will say 5' is fine and I have no problem with 7'. I'm 6'0" and 44" waist. I don't have a can light yet but have shears there instead.
#2 My Hog D1 single tank kit came with 22" works for me
#3 24" will probably do. The point is to go from where your first stage will be ( singles vs doubles and where you wear your tank will effect ) and have it come down to your left d-ring without being sloppy long.

I only have a braided hose for my BC inflator. I bought it cause the inflator hose that came with my wing was a couple inches two long. I've heard people say they are two curly for the primary hose but I've never tried it.

FWIW the Hog D1 single tank kit really made the leap to the dark side easy. :)

I agree with the above. Those are my preferences as well however, go with what is comfortable with you. 5' or 7'? Use whatever lays the best on you and routes the best. 24" hp? At your height that should be perfect, but I know some folks who need a 22" and some who need a 26". Same goes for the backup reg.

I prefer 7' for OW, and I won't touch anything braided.

For the SPG length, move the clip on the SPG to the position where you want it on the shorter hose, then measure.

I've found that 7' isn't that hard to store. I'm 6'0 and have a 38" waist and have no trouble storing the hose. I keep my knife on the right side of my harness and tuck the hose under the sheath when I'm not wearing a canlight.

Kristopher

- 7ft
- 24in backup
- measure it out for the SPG
All rubber hoses

I'm in the same boat as you, sticking with open water recreational for the distant future. I'm 5'6" 110lbs, very skinny. Torso's about 21in in height, from hip to shoulders. (Anyone feel like they're signing up for a dating site?)
The 7ft hose seems a bit long but still stows nicely under my shears (in place of can light). I just have to be sure to tuck it up so it's snug in there, other wise I could technically unloop it if my neck loop is real tight.

I've heard the 5ft to get into conflicts w/ the right shoulder D-ring especially if the hose is taunt on you.
Braided hoses will chaff your bare neck and can potentially do harsh things to your neck seal (wetsuit and dry seal)

The backup should probably get 24in. More often I know divers who dive 24in because a 22in is too tight to be able to turn your head up and left w/ single tanks. 24in is tight as well, but I can do it without yanking my mouth off my reg.

SPG-HP hose is much more personable. It depends where you set your tank, Bp height, hose routing etc. It would just be safer to measure it out. I use a 26in I think, which is a tad loose for me. Could be tighter but it doesn't bow out at all.

Here's a pic w/ my stock BC. Bp/W is very similar except my tank and waist band would be higher (SPG clipped higher up). You can see how the 24in backup still looks a bit short. I have a pic of aquaregia too, but I'm not sure if he want's his picture posted. His primary looks like it's wrapped a lot cleaner; he's a bigger dude than me.
PB100067.jpg

7', 22'', 24'', standard rubber.

I agree with all the above. I tried the braided hoses but found them to be too floppy and they didn't sit as comfortable as the rubber hoses. Another thing with the braided hoses is if you do any diving with no hood I found that they can chaff your neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a pic w/ my stock BC. Bp/W is very similar except my tank and waist band would be higher (SPG clipped higher up). You can see how the 24in backup still looks a bit short. I have a pic of aquaregia too, but I'm not sure if he want's his picture posted. His primary looks like it's wrapped a lot cleaner; he's a bigger dude than me.
View attachment 141316

Snorkel?? hahahah

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom