Hogarthian help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are designed with 10lbs capacity. Much better putting 3lbs in a 10lbs pocket than 10lbs in a 3lbs pocket. I have 2 pockets, I will never need 20lbs, I might not need 10lbs. Do you recommend putting them on the harness belt?

Have you tried the pockets on the tank band with a tank yet? They look like they might get in the way of tightening up the cam strap and then neatly tucking away the tail on the strap Velcro.

They are designed with 10lbs capacity. Much better putting 3lbs in a 10lbs pocket than 10lbs in a 3lbs pocket. I have 2 pockets, I will never need 20lbs, I might not need 10lbs. Do you recommend putting them on the harness belt?
Absolutely on the belt portion of the harness.

Sounds like a better option would have been the 5lb pockets if you never plan on needing more than 10. However what you have will work.

I frequently make use of large weight pockets with coldwater and a drysuit.

If you put a small weight in a large pocket when you change position it will move around in the pocket and effect your trim.

I think what you are finding out is the sport of scuba is a never ending process of tweaking your rig and needing to buy more stuff.

It is a form of sickness.

Given an AL backplate, I suspect you will need some weight in trim pockets on the upper tank band AND some on the waist belt. I have 4 trim pockets (2 on the upper tank band and 2 on the waist). I've never needed 5 lbs in any of them in Cozumel, and you look to be a similar build.

Do you dive locally as well where two big pockets might be necessary?

@FishWatcher747, it is me, not you, I get to intense shall we say, I am sorry for that. I should start all my posts with an apology. I just do not want the poor fellow to cut his webbing before he has it somewhat Hog since he wanted Hog help :wink:. The weight pockets, lol, whatever. I have seen worser, on me for that matter! A lot worse. He can faff with those at his leisure but webbing once cut is not so easy to fix.

James

I think what you are finding out is the sport of scuba is a never ending process of tweaking your rig and needing to buy more stuff.

It is a form of sisickness.
Now that is the truth..tweaking and buying more stuff even when I do not need too.

I have a great rig and I want another. I used to think 1 wetsuit should be enough and now I have 3 and a drysuit..and about to order another drysuit.

It's a sickness but oh how I enjoy it..

Those pockets look like an overkill. You have a backplate AND an STA, what is the total weight of them? Probably close to 12lb. If I put an STA I am overweight in fresh water in 5/4/3 suiby about 2lb. In salt I add 6 pounds more so with an STA that would mean about 4 lb max of extra lead. I am not a small fella either (6/195) With an STA you do not need any trim pockets. Single tank is easy to trim just by shifting it a bit up or down then use you legs/arms to trim. Just add one pocket on one side of the belt and put your weight there. If you have a dis balance of 4 lb its easy to adjust in a BP/W at the beginning of the dive by moving the bubble to that side. At the end of the dive you will tend to roll a bit but you can compensate it with the leg position a bit.

It looks like the aluminum plate and sta..so probably around 4lbs.

One pocket on one side doesn't sound like a plan I would like. Why start off balanced at all if you do not have to?

It looks like the aluminum plate and sta..so probably around 4lbs.

One pocket on one side doesn't sound like a plan I would like. Why start off balanced at all if you do not have to?
Ah ok they are both aluminum? Then 4lb sounds about right. Do not have to start if you do not have to , sometimes they get in a way. In any case those 2 on the harness in the belt area will not affect the trim as they will be at the low point on the body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom