HOG Zenith exhaust?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am studying up on regulators with an eye to what I will buy for my own first set.

I read a post somewhere about the HOG Zenith seconds that said something about them not having an exhaust tee and thus, dumping a lot of bubbles in the diver's face.

What's the story on that? It seems like something that would make me shy away from getting a Zenith. In my OW class, the regs I used generally did dump a lot of bubbles that were constantly obscuring my vision any time my head was roughly "up". At the time, I thought to myself that I would make sure to buy myself a reg that really ducted the exhaust away to that I could see even if I were in a vertical, head-up position in the water.

the only regs that really do that are the Apeks XTX, only if equipped with the wide exhaust T, the Hollis 500SE/Oceanic Omega whatever number it is now, and the Poseidons. The rest of them have the general exhaust T spacing which is about as wide as the mouthpiece at the bottom, and the width of the case at the top. The HOG is no worse than any other standard reg on the market.

hog-zenith-chrome-second-stage-cb.jpg
Hog D3
500.jpg
Standard XTX

500.jpg
XTX wide exhaust T's.

They are the only "normal" second stage on the market I'm aware of with exhaust T's that wide. Not to say there aren't any out there, I just don't know of any. The Poseidons and the Oceanic/Hollis regs are the only side exhausts on the market that I'm aware of, and the Omegas are somewhat questionable from what I've heard, and the Xstream is the same price, and now that DGX and DRiS are selling Poseidon, no more parts problems, wahoo, so I'd go with the better overall reg with the Xstream if you want something that stays out of your face. The only problem with them is they do breathe a bit different since they are servo controlled, it's a bit different.

Thanks, tbone!

Any idea why more manufacturers don't offer the wide exhaust tee? If all "regular" regulators are like the ones I used during OW, it seems like many people would be really annoyed with them.

The Posedion looks cool, but definitely out of my current price range.

At the time, I thought to myself that I would make sure to buy myself a reg that really ducted the exhaust away to that I could see even if I were in a vertical, head-up position in the water.

. . .and that's your problem. . . you should be horizontal (not vertical) in the water column.

. . .and that's your problem. . . you should be horizontal (not vertical) in the water column.

I knew somebody was going to say that. So, what if I'm trying to look off in the distance? Or if I'm on the bottom and looking up for the boat (or just where I'm going on an ascent)? Or even just, on the bottom and swimming along, looking ahead? I shouldn't be annoyed by bubbles clouding my view in any of those cases?

It's not about my body position. it's about my head position.

they don't offer it because it is largely a nonissue, even most of the guys with XTX's keep the narrow exhaust T's on. If you're diving in proper trim it's a nonissue.

31707_394202791370_630824_n.jpg

old not very good picture of me from 2011 maybe, but it's the only one I have of me exhaling. That is using a Hog D1 Classic second stage, not proper diver position, looking mostly down, somewhat ahead, and you can see the bubble trail following the jawline and staying out of my face. The XTX wide exhaust t's help somewhat, but isn't terribly noticeable unless you are a photographer and looking dead forward regularly. I generally dive with Poseidon Jetstreams and they are quite nice for all diving conditions unless you roll on your side with the exhaust facing down. That doesn't work so well.... lots of bubbles, but that is a much more rare situation that being head up.

not proper diver position, looking mostly down, somewhat ahead, and you can see the bubble trail following the jawline and staying out of my face.

Right. I would expect that when looking even somewhat down. I guess I'm just surprised that you don't end up looking straight ahead or up often enough that it becomes annoying. When I was on my OW cert dives, I had frequent occasions of descending and then watching my instructor, who was straight ahead, and me not being able to see well because looking straight ahead at a person on level with me resulted in lots of bubbles in front of my face every time I exhaled.

you can strategic with exhalations and head positions. You learn to dive slightly above what you're following so you don't strain your turn, turn your head slightly sideways to direct them to the side, etc etc. The only reg on the market that properly keeps bubbles out of your face when you are vertical is the Poseidon Jetstream, the XTX with wide exhaust comes close, but not perfect, and the 500se and Xstream/Cyklon are also real close but not quite wide enough. They get about the same distance away as the XTX.

Poseidon_Jetstream_real.jpg
As long as you don't start putting the diaphragm down, the jetstream keeps it out of your face very very well. It's not enough for most people to deal with their unique breathing characteristics, but I think it's hands down the best second stage ever made.

At 00:15 I turn the camera around, selfie, and exhale. I think I was still fairly in trim at that point, but from the video it looks like I don't get much exhaust in front of my eyes. I never really notice it.

[video=youtube_share;YcVM9qLlHeg]http://youtu.be/YcVM9qLlHeg?t=14s[/video]

Thanks for posting the video. I can see that most of it does go around beside you mask. But, I can also definitely see some that comes right up the front. However, with all that everyone has said, I think I'm just not going to worry about it. If I somehow end up being able to score a good deal on some Apeks regs, that would be awesome. But, I'm not going to pass up on a good deal on some other good quality regs, if I find one.

Back
Top Bottom