Hog wrapping a bail out hose under a loop on a rebreather.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heat Miser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just came back from 3 days on a livaboard, where I have been practicing, jumping in with the revo. getting to 5 meters pulling out my 7 foot offboard bail-out second stage regulator, purging the regulator and then lifting the loop and gag strap off my head, hog wrapping the long hose behind my neck and under my loop and finishing my S drill with a bubble check.

I wasn't certain about this type of rigging but thought I would give it a go, once I saw GUE.tv drill showing that it is how they donate the long hose on a GUE.JJ.

I like it because it removes a fair bit of personal apprehension about going off the loop onto bail out, because the reg is clipped off close to my loop and right chest d-ring. Obviously I don't have a BOV.

It takes a bit of fiddling, to reverse the process prior to surfacing on the deco stop. But I don't want to be dragged by the neck when I hand off a stage in the water prior to climbing the boat ladder. I didn't try while holding a DSMB. I handed the DSMB to a buddy prior to surfacing.

Whats the gauntlet of Scubaboard think?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I think I have a pretty good idea. I agree with you that having your bailout reg on a necklace where it is immediately accessible is desirable (I also don't use a BOV).

I took my Cave and MOD3 training with Mel Clark and she teaches a method for using a long hose. Three notes on using this setup:

1) I generally put my left bailout on, loop the bailout reg hose behind my neck and the necklace over my head. THEN I put my loop over my head. I splash with it in this configuration and have never had an issue. It just means one less thing to worry about when you hit the water.

2) If you need to donate your bailout reg, it is a two step process. The first step is to yank it out of the necklace, pull the hose to get some length, and then donate it. Get the donee to stop once they have a gas source. You then remove your gag strap (if using one), close the loop, remove the loop and take the rest of the long hose out and then go back on the loop. This allows the 7 foot long hose to be completely free of you and you can donate the cylinder, etc. This procedure is a little cumbersome and requires practice but works.

3) What I do when I'm getting ready to get back on the boat is that after I clear deco, I remove the reg from the necklace and pass it between my cheek and loop, up around my head, back down the other side between my cheek and loop. If you practice, it is easy and you don't need to remove your loop and now your bailout cylinder is free to pass back up to the boat.

Hopefully that helps.

Regards,

- brett

I think its a PITA and provides almost no value but what do I know.

I dive with a BOV plugging into a QC6 off the sidemounted left hand BO. This is my deep gas. There is a long hose in the conventional stuffed SM configuration on that bottle. If someone else needs that gas I deploy the long hose and give it to them. I am not faffing around getting off my perfectly good CCR and making the donation that much more complicated or consuming any of that BO myself by switching to a necklace off that bottle.

If my BOV is compromised I deploy the long hose and use it myself.

Not having necklaces and 7ft loops also makes removing that SM bottle that much easier to clip it off onto a tag line on the boat.

I was trained to have the long hose around my neck, just like OC bm, and clipped off. I prefer it to keeping my reg stowed on the sm bailout. We did a test in class and I repeated it on cave dives. I left the reg stowed on the sm bailout, did a dive long enough to not be thinking about the stowed reg, then randomly chose to deploy it. Most of the times it was fine, but every once in a while the second stage moved and it wasn't where it was expected. For me, having the long hose in the normal OC position is more intuitive and repeatable. It never gets knocked out of position. The deployment is 3 steps: close BOV, flip up loop, deploy long hose. It's quicker than it sounds on paper. Coming off of the loop for a second is not an issue for me. Add to that if I forget to close it in an emergency, I'm not worried about my loop flooding due to the unit's flood tolerance.
Either option is fine, but I just prefer a long hose in the OC position. When people argue it takes too long to deploy, they need to realize that the idea was based off of a team of CCR divers. For a major failure to happen that requires gas donation, there are warning signs and it's a cascading effect. On CCR you shouldn't be going from on the loop to 100% out of gas instantaneously. When you throw in mixed teams that's a different story and why some people don't dive mixed teams.

I just came back from 3 days on a livaboard, where I have been practicing, jumping in with the revo. getting to 5 meters pulling out my 7 foot offboard bail-out second stage regulator, purging the regulator and then lifting the loop and gag strap off my head, hog wrapping the long hose under my loop and finishing my S drill with a bubble check.

I wasn't certain about this type of rigging but thought I would give it a go, once I saw GUE.tv drill showing that it is how they donate the long hose on a GUE.JJ.

I like it because it removes a fair bit of personal apprehension about going off the loop onto bail out, because the reg is clipped off close to my loop and right d-ring. Obviously I don't have a BOV.

It takes a bit of fiddling, to reverse the process prior to surfacing on the deco stop. But I don't want to be dragged by the neck when I hand off a stage in the water prior to climbing the boat ladder. I didn't try while holding a DSMB. I handed the DSMB to a buddy prior to surfacing.

i have to confess i dont do an S drill- i pre -breathe reg /check SPG of my BO gas on the boat and do bubble check at suitable spot on the down line and thats pretty much it
I usually carry 2 x 6 litre BO one with a short hose on necklace (for me) and the other is a longer hose ( for them) deco gas is staged

as others have mentioned it can be a PITA when exiting remembering to get it in the right sequence so Im considering getting rid of the necklace and just clipping it (reg) on a high D ring

I dont have a BOV my concern is having mask strap, gag strap, and necklace all fighting each other in an emergency scenario so a BOV is a good solution

NB Rubens recommended the necklace in lieu of having it stowed on bottle

The long hose is an evil accessory, like an article of uniform, to keep people compliant or in check
and to indoctrinate others that can not think freely enough to immediately discount the ridiculous

The long hose serves absolutely no purpose, except for those that go drilling instead of just diving

NB Rubens is also a jokester

I was trained to have the long hose around my neck, just like OC bm, and clipped off. I prefer it to keeping my reg stowed on the sm bailout. We did a test in class and I repeated it on cave dives. I left the reg stowed on the sm bailout, did a dive long enough to not be thinking about the stowed reg, then randomly chose to deploy it. Most of the times it was fine, but every once in a while the second stage moved and it wasn't where it was expected. For me, having the long hose in the normal OC position is more intuitive and repeatable. It never gets knocked out of position. The deployment is 3 steps: close BOV, flip up loop, deploy long hose. It's quicker than it sounds on paper. Coming off of the loop for a second is not an issue for me. Add to that if I forget to close it in an emergency, I'm not worried about my loop flooding due to the unit's flood tolerance.
Either option is fine, but I just prefer a long hose in the OC position. When people argue it takes too long to deploy, they need to realize that the idea was based off of a team of CCR divers. For a major failure to happen that requires gas donation, there are warning signs and it's a cascading effect. On CCR you shouldn't be going from on the loop to 100% out of gas instantaneously. When you throw in mixed teams that's a different story and why some people don't dive mixed teams.
If you use a gag strap (I do as its proven to be effective at keeping you alive in the event of loss of consciousness) then this all falls apart. If my buddy is that far down the bailout rabbit hole to need my gas then the extra 5-10seconds it might take to fumble with a stuffed but shifted 2nd stage is the least of our worries.

The long hose is an evil accessory, like an article of uniform, to keep people compliant or in check
and to indoctrinate others that can not think freely enough to immediately discount the ridiculous

The long hose serves absolutely no purpose, except for those that go drilling instead of just diving
Shrugs, having fun ranting? They are a required accessory in many CCR courses for a reason.

How do you share your DPV to an out of gas buddy without a long-hose. :facepalm:

NB Rubens recommended the necklace in lieu of having it stowed on bottle

Yeah I tried it necklaced and I didn't like it. To bail out, with a gag strap, you have to pull the loop down and I found often, on top of the necklace. I prefer it clipped to the right chest D ring as its always there.

i have to confess i don't do an S drill

My S drills were a bit hit and miss too. Just moving the reg around the back of my neck (HOG wrapped) clipped onto a right D ring helped, I feel less apprehensive about doing the drill.

The deployment is 3 steps: close BOV, flip up loop, deploy long hose. It's quicker than it sounds on paper. Coming off of the loop for a second is not an issue for me.
yep this is the goal ^^ except my step one is remove gag strap ... no bov

Back
Top Bottom