Hog wrapping a bail out hose under a loop on a rebreather.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sincere apologies for bringing this up again...

1. What are the advantages/benefits of using a longhose with backmounted cylinders on CCR? (a-la the GUE configuration)

2. How do you deploy the longhose on CCR if it's below the loop?

3. Is the 2nd stage clipped off and is it on a breakaway (should you not be able to unclip the regulator, just break it from the boltsnap)?

4. How is a longhose better than deploying the regulator from a (standard) CCR bailout cylinder (in the case of an OOA diver)?

(Am honestly not trying to score points, am genuinely trying to understand the advantages of the GUE-like longhose configuration to overcome the many complexities in that kit and protocols -- when comparing this to a "standard" CCR bailout cylinder as used by the majority of CCR divers)

Sincere apologies for bringing this up again...

1. What are the advantages/benefits of using a longhose with backmounted cylinders on CCR? (a-la the GUE configuration)

2. How do you deploy the longhose on CCR if it's below the loop?

3. Is the 2nd stage clipped off and is it on a breakaway (should you not be able to unclip the regulator, just break it from the boltsnap)?

4. How is a longhose better than deploying the regulator from a (standard) CCR bailout cylinder (in the case of an OOA diver)?

(Am honestly not trying to score points, am genuinely trying to understand the advantages of the GUE-like longhose configuration to overcome the many complexities in that kit and protocols -- when comparing this to a "standard" CCR bailout cylinder as used by the majority of CCR divers)
1-when you have your bailout rigged as backmount doubles, you maintain the muscle memory from open circuit and have a convenient way to use the long hose if you have to donate
2-close bov/DSV with left hand while unclipping long hose with right, switch to long hose to clear/validate function, switch to short hose around neck with left hand while donating long hose with right hand. Once situation is stable and you get your left hand back, pull loop back down and switch back to loop. Total process takes MAYBE 5 seconds if you practice.
3. if it's on a breakaway just pop it off, though most leave it clipped off
4. you maintain standard air sharing protocols when doing penetration diving which is not passing bottles around

The majority of the world uses a configuration that is not well designed for cave diving

Thank you.

It raises a lot of supplementary questions regarding the assumptions, but that's a whole different topic.

The key -- like everything in diving -- is to practice until it's automatic.

I guess the simple question regarding hose length is whether it's "a good thing" to use a longhose (2.1m/7') on a standard bailout stage (as is fairly normal on RH sidemount). This means if you're using it yourself, you drag out half of the hose. The rest is there should you need to do a full longhose deployment and exit in an overhead where the 'victim' cannot take the stage.

Of course this means that if the donor has given away their bailout, they're now completely dependent upon other divers in the event of a drastic failure. With the "GUE" config there's the shorthose and what's left of the diluent.

Thank you.

It raises a lot of supplementary questions regarding the assumptions, but that's a whole different topic.

The key -- like everything in diving -- is to practice until it's automatic.

I guess the simple question regarding hose length is whether it's "a good thing" to use a longhose (2.1m/7') on a standard bailout stage (as is fairly normal on RH sidemount). This means if you're using it yourself, you drag out half of the hose. The rest is there should you need to do a full longhose deployment and exit in an overhead where the 'victim' cannot take the stage.

Of course this means that if the donor has given away their bailout, they're now completely dependent upon other divers in the event of a drastic failure. With the "GUE" config there's the shorthose and what's left of the diluent.
Don't give away your bailout bottles, don't use the onboard 3l for bailout gas. Cave strategies....

Equivalent of 4x al80s can be put into 2x lp120s. If they’re on my back (flanking the rebreather), then I have easy real estate under my arm to clip off two more al80s. All this before needing to leash anything.

It’s a great way to carry a large volume of gas.

Equivalent of 4x al80s can be put into 2x lp120s. If they’re on my back (flanking the rebreather), then I have easy real estate under my arm to clip off two more al80s. All this before needing to leash anything.

Liked the guy in the video with the two steel sidemount tins. Lovely and streamlined. Then the heavier deco tins trailing behind. Kind of important in that cave as there appeared to be some light restrictions which wouldn't have been fun in a full backmount config (e.g. backmounted large bailout + rebreather + 3 oxy+dil)

or in a baby rack, a pair of 50's/8L's are a hair shy of 2x AL80's and serve the same function for boat dives. The 3L of O2 is still strapped to the back, the 3L normally used for dil becomes suit and/or wing inflation and still leaves the left side free for 2x AL80's before you have to leash and is the tits for diving off of a boat.

Here’s a screen shot of me working through a rock restriction at like 290’.

My buddies had side mounted bailouts. Mine were on a rack. We all made it through in about the same time, and none of us had any issues with it.

Ultimately, divers with tanks and rebreathers are shaped like triangles. Rack guys have the base at the top, sm guys have the triangle base at the bottom. Pick your triangle.

Attachments

• 153A8908-1FFD-4797-A5B7-4967E8A2746B.png
    153A8908-1FFD-4797-A5B7-4967E8A2746B.png
    363.4 KB · Views: 112
And what is your protocol for deploying a longhose from under your loop and you’re not breathing from?

Is it quicker than deploying your deep bailout hose?

Precisely the reason why a BOV has to be well thought through especially regarding quick-connectors

Which risk are you mitigating with a CCR + longhose that deploying a bailout hose doesn’t ?

What’s wrong with diving in mixed 'teams' with a bailout?

Does a mixed "team" include people who dive with no redundancy (i.e. single tank)?
I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I sidemount my BO. I still use a long hose, if someone needs some of my BO cause they are on OC or burned up their own BO doesnt matter - they get a long hose of deep gas until we can sort out the issue. Passing them bottles? Nyte

In open water where I have one (usually al80 and its on the left) of deep gas the 7ft hose is stuffed along the side, the 2nd stage is up by the crown of that cylinder. That gas is also plugged into a QC6 leading to my BOV. There is no OC reg under my loop at all.

In a cave where I commonly carry much larger steel cylinders and the L/R cylinders are the same deep mix. The long hose is on stuff down the side of the right side cylinder. The left SM cylinder has a QC6 to the BOV and a shorter hose to a 2nd stage and an offboard dil connection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom