HOG Regulators - Do you still love them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that there isnt at least some truth to what you say, it just sounds like the scare tactics i hear from desperate retailers trying to push overpriced gear. IJS.

Actually it's MUCH more simple than that. I haven't tested Apeks parts in my regs, I don't have a reason to and certainly won't recommend you using Apeks parts in HOG regs. Why would I?

No scare tactics at all.

As far as the parts and service, I am given to understand Hog sells parts to the public, so stock up and learn to service them yourself.

c

I don't sell parts to the public, I don't prohibit my dealers from doing so. I do recommend my dealers sell parts to people that have taken the TDI/HOG Repair Specialty and that they consider offering said specialty.

Actually it's MUCH more simple than that. I haven't tested Apeks parts in my regs, I don't have a reason to and certainly won't recommend you using Apeks parts in HOG regs. Why would I?

No scare tactics at all.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to put Apeks parts in a HOG regulator....

the Apeks rebuild kits are twice as expensive as HOG kits. Why pay more for parts when it's another brand name and the HOG brand ones are half the price? :idk:

:D

Is the Hog reg the brand where there have been problems with putting a Miflex hose on? If so, you may want to consider that before buying if you plan on using Miflex hoses. If I have that issue wrong, pardon my nosy interjection

That would be the Apeks Flight

I'm sorry I just looked up at the top of the page and saw Hog regulators are a sponsor to this board (now I get it, Shills)

Now there's a Waterproof ad, I sure won't be buying one of their wetsuits /shakes fist :confused:

While second stage parts might be interchangable, there is NO relationship to the HOG first stage and any Apeks first stage. They are not alike, with the exception of a couple of o-rings.

Phil Ellis
DiveSports.com

I'm sorry I just looked up at the top of the page and saw Hog regulators are a sponsor to this board(now I get it, Shills). I was wondering why anyone would give advice that it was a good thing to mix regulator parts or work on your own life support equipment (that you haven't been trained on).
Wow, nothing has changed it's all about the dollar.

I tried to not bother responding but really...

I don't use shills, not my style. I have figured out along this journey of life however that normally the first to accuse somebody of something unethical/immoral/illegal is normally a practitioner of whatever it is they accuse others of. That is why they assume others are doing it...because they do.

I have been in the recreational dive industry 15 years, I have a few instr certs and thousands of dives. I have NO intention of marketing or formatting my company to what is in essence is a failed model. If the approach EDGE/HOG takes offends you...too bad. Really. My responsibility is to make a business plan for now and the future based upon the reality of TODAY, not the past and certainly not some fantasy of what the industry "should" be (esp. when that fantasy involves uneducated consumers, margins that border on gouging in one area of the business and unprofitable efforts in every other aspect of what we do while doing everything we can to have substandard training and instructors become the new standard).

In short, if you have a problem with EDGE/HOG because of how we do things, be an adult and address that in the right venue (post in the EDGE area and instead of deleting it I will address it), otherwise why try to derail this thread and accuse my company of employing shrills? Pretty weak.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to put Apeks parts in a HOG regulator....

the Apeks rebuild kits are twice as expensive as HOG kits. Why pay more for parts when it's another brand name and the HOG brand ones are half the price? :idk:

:D
I agree with that 100%!!

That is one of the great things about the HOG regs is the rebuild kits are reasonably priced for those qualified to do their own repairs. Something that turned me off to Scuba Pro, and I have a couple sets of SP regs. There are plenty of places that can service HOG regs for those wanting someone else to rebuild them for you.

Fortunately no one should regard anything I say as I do not log dives nor do I have my post count visible. Therefore I know nothing.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please stay on topic and away from personal attacks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom