HOG Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have six HOG regs and I ended up calling four different dive shops in Austin, one of which is a HOG dealer according to the Edge HOG website and none of them even heard of HOG.

Maybe they pride themselves on not knowing what's going on.

I've heard they are identical to Dive Rite regs, though I have never worked on a HOG reg. If they're the same as a DR reg, then they are actually quite simple to service. You will need a few tools, but I disagree that you need $1,000 worth! An IP guage for sure to set 1st stage IP and tune 2nd stages to your 1st stage. Access to a magnehelic would be nice, however I can make my regs breathe pretty nicely without it. That being said, it's my opinion that just because you can service your own regs doesn't mean you should. I agree it's not "hard" to do, but I think you should have experience and training before you go for it on your own.

I doubt you will find a tech locally that will teach you how to do it to be honest. I am quite sure you can find one that will do it for you for a price, however.

They know who HOG/EDGE is !!!!!....Most of them are dealers for other brands and don't like the competition 'cause they also know how much better and SO MUCH less expensive they are....AND divers can do their own serviceing [or send them to Divegearexpress.com here in Florida].....They're afraid of them, so they pretend they don't exist !!!!!.......Keep up the good work HOG ...and the pressure.......A little revolution every once in awhile is a good thing :D !!!!!

He prefers to invest in product development and improvement.

Jim:

This part of your post confuses me. My understanding is that HOG regs are made in Taiwan by ODS, who also makes regs (the same regs?) sold under other names including Scubamax, Tilos, IST and others. The reseller will specify graphics, labeling and perhaps some part variations on the regs they buy from ODS, but that reseller does not manufacture the regs. It seems unlikely to me that such resellers are engaged in product development or improvement of the ODS products, so with no offense to the regs, which by all accounts are a good bargain, how is HOG engaging in such product development and improvement?

They know who HOG/EDGE is !!!!!....Most of them are dealers for other brands and don't like the competition 'cause they also know how much better and SO MUCH less expensive they are....AND divers can do their own serviceing [or send them to Divegearexpress.com here in Florida].....They're afraid of them, so they pretend they don't exist !!!!!.......Keep up the good work HOG ...and the pressure.......A little revolution every once in awhile is a good thing :D !!!!!

Yes, you can send your HOG regs in to Dive Gear Express for servicing. Here is the link with more info;
Regulator Service and Parts - Dive Gear Express

And, this page also contains the service kits and parts that are available for both the HOG and Dive Rite regs.

A rear sighting of the elusive Joyster Fish!!!

DC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom