HOG or Edge regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I keep reading about HOG but can't find much of anything about about Edge. I'm considering getting one or the other and I don't like to use a din/yoke convertor on a regular basis.Sooooo why is nobody talking about edge? What differences are there internally that make the HOG line better?

Btw...all my tanks are yoke and that's what I want to stick with...so let's not discuss that part.

I know Chris (the owner of Edge/HOG) said he would be coming out with a yoke kit for the HOG regs as an add on, I would post a question in the Edge forum to verify this. Yes the HOG regs do get more attention here, not sure why though but I'm sure the Edge regs are just as go of a product as the HOG. This is one reason why I like Edge/HOG, the owner listens to his customers and will implement changes in the product so we can have a product that we would like a product that the manufacturer thinks we want. Just try with any other manufacturer to suggest they come out with a yoke kit for a DIN only reg, suggest they send there L/R regs in the left hand config, Build a smaller wing, chances are they will give you a line of BS about how there engineers now way more than you and how that is not how you want the product.

@bb- I'm like you but choose Hog over Edge for two reasons.

1) I wanted to go with the Hogarthian configuration which AKAIK the Edge rec line doesn't do out of the box. (Throw hoses away.) The Hog line sells without hoses for this reason and they have a singles kit with the long hose.

2) I haven't yet purchased tanks but I will soon. When I do, I'll be going with steel tanks and DIN valves. I've done with the DIN / Yoke adapter a couple dozen times now and while I'll say it's not ideal, it hasn't been a problem either. My tank is now trimmed out so that my head doesn't hit it anymore.

I'd think if you don't care about either of those points and you find the price of the Edge gear to be your liking, then go for it. Otherwise you might also like some of the package prices on Scubatoys.com and LeisurePro are quiet nice. Do you need a new SPG / console or can you reuse your old? ( I'm guessing if you own tanks you own a reg but I don't know if you are upgrading or replacing or what.. )

Only thing that stopped me from going Edge and not HOG was I was going hogarthian and was gonna go for a long hose setup and I use DIN tanks. Just the good logical choice. I have no immediate desire to make doubles out of my 2 DIN tanks (but it would be cool) so I bought the singles kit and keep the Yoke adapter handy for really long drives or flying. Plus the price is less that desirable for the Edge line IMO. But this is because they are Yoke, come per configured and have hoses. Stuff I just handled by buying the singles package and switching them out with some MiFlex hoses I had lying around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My son has an Edge regulator I bought from Jim Lapenta here on the board. He loves it and has become a complete Edge convert.

The first stages are pretty much identical except for chrome finish and yoke/DIN
The HOG second stage is based on the Apeks ATX abd has a traditional solid purge cover with button.
The Edge second stage is based on the AquaLung LX (also an Apeks design) and has a soft purge cover.

.......so not much difference. The HOG gets talked up because its always better to be considered tech than rec!

The first stages are pretty much identical except for chrome finish and yoke/DIN
The HOG second stage is based on the Apeks ATX abd has a traditional solid purge cover with button.
The Edge second stage is based on the AquaLung LX (also an Apeks design) and has a soft purge cover.

.......so not much difference. The HOG gets talked up because its always better to be considered tech than rec!

And it has nothing to do with the fact they are a fraction of the cost... :wink:

Talked up over the Edge.

It's cool to be tech....HOG
It's ordinary to be rec....Edge.

I spoke with, I think the owner, and he was very helpful and recommended the Edge Epic coldwater 1st stage.

There are a few differences in performance at extreme depths between the HOG and Edge first stages. He said they were minimal and would not come into play for my depths....130ft and up. He even guaranteed the reg and if I wasnt 100% satisfied he would switch it out fit a HOG.

Now I have to consider the cost of servicing. I currently have a Titan and was going to upgrade to a Legend. I love my Titan so I'm keeping it I'm just wanting another setup.decisions decisions

Send it in to Jim Lapenta when you need it serviced. He'll get it back to you quick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom