HOG Morph1000 Core Canister Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The six hour burn time is on high power. I asked Chris about these times this weekend. One user reported they got seven. At medium setting he got over ten hours and at low power Chris turned his off after being on for over 24 hrs. Not sure how long it would have gone if left alone.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

The six hour burn time is on high power. I asked Chris about these times this weekend. One user reported they got seven. At medium setting he got over ten hours and at low power Chris turned his off after being on for over 24 hrs. Not sure how long it would have gone if left alone.

Hey Jim,

What is your pricing on the light? I did not see it listed on your site yet.

I see no good reason for such a light:

- poor batery
- poor optics
- additional options for cable failure
- too light and to thin cable
- too small canister to hook long hose
- glove goodman ?????
- 3 mode : see nothing , see little more than nothing , see something

maybe could be useful with videosetup , but definitly not with deep SMO reflector

IMO : waste of money you get much more with some DRIS 1000 or similar from HOG

You could stuff your long hose in your waist band, thats how I do it. I doubt we will have can lights much longer, batteries are almost to the point that we dont need them now.

---------- Post added March 25th, 2013 at 11:54 AM ----------

Good to hear! I always temper my expectations when dealing with a new product, especially if the specification in question doesn't specifically address the question I have. I am very happy with the light so far, and like the way that it was designed. The only negative is that I cant open the battery cannister to replace the battery myself when it finally goes...but that should be a while from now. One could also call that a positive since there should be less chance of the can leaking.

If anyone is looking for a mounting option, I found that an old weight pocket (the zip kind that some integrated weight BCs come with) with the bottom cut out for the light cord to route through works great.

Yeah my web guy's wife had a baby two months premature so he's been kinda tied up with that and I am cutting him some slack. I am going to be updating my specials page myself over the next day or two. The MAP on the cannister with std head, umbilical, and canister is 449.99. Although from now thru April 30th I am offering free US shipping on all orders over 300.00.

Jim, do you have the light socks in stock? What about the video heads? A HOG representative told me that they video heads were more popular than anticipated, but expected more in stock during March.

These things depends on complete system ( led - driver - battery type )

- led ( you can drive led bright but not at full , for example thermal shut off , cooling)

- driver ( you can have low quality driver which run to full , but can not deliver enough current ( low quality MOSFET )
( you can have high quality driver which can run simply on 11A without problems , or is some lover quality led emiter batch which
might burn off when is driver at full )

- battery depends on interal resistance , and chemisty ( some can deliver big energy very fast , but can be empty very fast ( RC airplane
batteries) depends from N*C discharging ( for example 5C means ( 5 time nominal discharging current ))

--------------------------------------------------------------
for 6 h at full , battery pack should have at least ( 3,7V led + 2V driver drop ) x 2,8A(litle higher current ) x 6h ) = 95,76 Wh

for geting that capacity you need ( LiOn pack 2S3P =( (3,7V +3,7 V ) *4,5Ah (bigest i know for small devices ) )*3 )=99,9Wh

how it looks such pack ?

this have 75Wh and Dimensions: 137 x 41 x 43mm

Turnigy nano-tech 10000mah 2S 40~80C Lipo Pack (TRA2854 Stampede/Rustler/Bandit compatible)

but remember if that is LiPo ( and is charging like in video through simle 2pole socket it needs also interal protecting and balancing circuit between cells which also neds place -ups )
-----------------------------------------------------

my point of view : if something is new on market - don't trust on marketing , simple and very fast parameters analysis tell us truth
final analys trough clamp meter on led or some DAQ (data acquisition ) if you want to belive do it no problem I just like to highlight
mismatch in the data.

---------- Post added March 26th, 2013 at 03:30 AM ----------

with these might fit in to spec , but needed 6 of them to fit in canister with 86,6 Wh - that is close

UltraFire Protected 18650 3.7V "4000mAh" Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

but if you read comments at these batteries again

Cons: Measured at 1.0A discharge, charged to 4.05V, capacity read off the charger was 1684 and 1724. So the rated capacity of 4000mAh (obviously overrated) was more than 2x that of the actual capacity. Not much of other cons i can think of other than the overrated capacity.
and normaly this is neverending story......

Last edited:
These lights were awesome last week in Bonaire. I was getting 4-5 dives out of a charge. Full power and dives were at least an hour. I would charge it every night after diving and it would still light up the ocean at the end of the day on a night dive. As a dealer I like to try out the gear I'm selling. This isn't just a great travel cannister light but a great light in general. I even like the glove goodman handle-for the Caribbean. Mounting on my webbing was easy using a hoseclamp but I'm sure there are other ways to set it up. If you'd like more info please email me dave@scubadelphia.com

I can't wait to try this light when diving New Jersey wrecks. And I look forward to hearing more mounting options.

Dave from Scubadelphia - Philadelphia , PA

Back
Top Bottom