Hog just makes sense to me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do not have to have a hogarthian config to make it simple and non clutered. No need for switching to BP/W. There are some BCs that are simple and non clutered. If I was diving tropics all the time in a wet suit to recreational depth I would not use BP/W but get a simple backinflate instead.

My gear is in good shape. BUT it's cumbersome and cluttered. That would be my only reason to switch. I want to simplify!

You do not have to have a hogarthian config to make it simple and non clutered. No need for switching to BP/W. There are some BCs that are simple and non clutered. If I was diving tropics all the time in a wet suit to recreational depth I would not use BP/W but get a simple backinflate instead.

Why do you say that? I love diving warm water with a lightweight bp/w - Ali plate and 23# wing. It's so easy and uncluttered. A couple of weight pockets on the cam straps, so no weight belt either. Having said that, some of those back-inflate simple jackets look pretty good, but a bpw will be even cheaper.

There are some BCs that are simple and non clutered. If I was diving tropics all the time in a wet suit to recreational depth I would not use BP/W but get a simple backinflate instead.

The problem with those is the same problem with Sans-A-Belt Pants; you can buy the pants BUT,............ you have to wear the belt that comes with them.

yo

Last edited:
Why do you say that? I love diving warm water with a lightweight bp/w - Ali plate and 23# wing. It's so easy and uncluttered. A couple of weight pockets on the cam straps, so no weight belt either. Having said that, some of those back-inflate simple jackets look pretty good, but a bpw will be even cheaper.

That's just your choice of a means to an end.

At the end of the day this whole bag of worms called recreational dive gear is just as much about fashion, choice, whimsy and trends as anything else. Objective rational decision making gets involved once in a while.

If it feels good then it is good. If it's already bought and paid for it feels even better. Follow your bliss.

Pete

I've been using a Zeagle Express Tech, which fits this description. Some say it's a back-inflate, while others call it a soft backplate and wing. It suits me just fine for the tropical travel diving I do, but my next move is to a true (rigid) backplate and wing because GUE says that's what I need to take Fundamentals. Whatever.

I say that because thats my opinion :)

I dive BP/W locally most of the time and a backinflate most of the time down south. Both are streamlined.
I think people are most of the time put too much emphasis on the gear configuration for rec diving. Unless the BCD is super fluffy I do not see how it changes my experience while rec diving whether its a BP/W or a regular bc

Is it opposites day? A guy asks scubaboard about his BCD and everyone one says stick with a jacket?? Lol

I switched to hog gear although what I was diving was mostly suitable and functional. I found it a lot nicer. My old jacket bc never seemed to fit quite right and once I had a bp/w everything else just made sense.

Of course what others is saying is true, you might not need to change, but it worked for me.

You can't make everyone happy. People used to laugh at my split fins and stab jacket and call it stroke gear. Then I went Hog and people snide that I'm just trying to look like a tech diver.

Truth is I could dive anything and be ok. But Hog makes the most sense to me also.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom