Hog Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
What causes you to doubt Floater's word?

Tobin

no thing, of course, and every thang.

Nothing I asked indicated I was doubting Floater's word.

And exsqueeze me but, what exactly is Floater's Word?
Is it anythang like Daltons Creek?

evad:
This is your position?

Just an opinion. There's a few little things that can go wrong if you DIY for the first time. In particular, will your sewing for the crotch strap and sheath be on par with DSS workmanship? I'm sure anything I myself sewed would eventually fall apart under heavy underwater use. in fact, i'd probably just use another slide keeper for the crotch strap instead of sewing it, so the end result would not look as nice as the DSS. Also, webbing comes in different grades of stiffness and reefscuba may not have everything you need so then you may have to order something small and pay another $5 for shipping. In particular, last time I checked I don't think they had the nice soft webbing for the crotch strap so then you either use their 1" webbing (which may not be as nice) or you order some place else. I haven't done the math but I doubt you'd save much in the end, especially if you get an equivalent quality buckle.

Doc Intrepid, some of us little people NEED to cross the straps . . .

So, I tried out my rig in the pool last night. Very nice. I was wondering about the heads down position (please - no horizontal only posts - I know, I know) and that was good, too.

I did not cross the straps and the donning and doffing was not difficult at all. I may not have the shoulders tight enough but it did seem fine in the water. But, remember, my BC was really, really loose and floppy.

I'm happy with the rig. However, I need at least one pocket because I like to carry a few things (light, mirror, etc.) and I don't want to glue one of those bellows onto my exposure suit. So, I'm currently trying to see what I can do about one I can slip onto the waist strap that will be close to the body and not drag on the reef or anything.

If someone knows of a solution so that I don't have to re-invent the wheel, that would be good.

I use a Dive Rite weight pocket on the RARE occasions that I need to carry something on my BP. Putting a pocket on the exposure suit is a good solution but I dive a shorty most often so it doesn't work.

sea nmf:
So, I tried out my rig in the pool last night. Very nice. I was wondering about the heads down position (please - no horizontal only posts - I know, I know) and that was good, too.

Pools are great place to get horizontal, the bottom of the pool provides a ready horizontal reference.

sea nmf:
I did not cross the straps and the donning and doffing was not difficult at all. I may not have the shoulders tight enough but it did seem fine in the water. But, remember, my BC was really, really loose and floppy.

If it's stable in the water that's the real measure, no need to tighten the straps to point where you can't get out. With a little practice (in your case very little practice) most people can get into and out of a Hogarthian harness while preserving their dignity :wink:

sea nmf:
I'm happy with the rig. However, I need at least one pocket because I like to carry a few things (light, mirror, etc.) and I don't want to glue one of those bellows onto my exposure suit. So, I'm currently trying to see what I can do about one I can slip onto the waist strap that will be close to the body and not drag on the reef or anything.

If someone knows of a solution so that I don't have to re-invent the wheel, that would be good.

If you want a pocket that you can slip on to the waist strap check with DiveRite. They make a zippered mesh pocket that works OK.

Better is pockets on your exposure suit.

Tobin

Rainer:
I recently got a DSS singles kit. For whatever reason, I decided to get the pro-fit harness. I'd like to try a hog harness. Yeah, yeah, I probably could have saved some money... that said, what can I now do to save the maximum amount of money and still have the best hog harness possible? I see that DR sells a "complete" hog kit, as does DSS. Anyway to put this together for even cheaper? Specific suggestions (web links, etc) would be most welcomed.

I don't think there are any great ways to save a bunch of dough. I would not recommend piecing together a harness from reefscuba. Their webbing is fine but they don't have the heavy duty hardware. Oxy, FredT and EE sell quality stuff. I think your most innexpensive option is going to be the DSS. Good hardware, webbing, crotch strap, knife and sheath... for something like $55... that's about as good as you are gonna get. Sorry... I just can't think of a cheaper way to do it.

Thanks, Stephen. Always appreciate your advice. I've decided that's exactly what I'm going to do, get the DSS.

Stephen Ash:
I don't think there are any great ways to save a bunch of dough. I would not recommend piecing together a harness from reefscuba. Their webbing is fine but they don't have the heavy duty hardware. Oxy, FredT and EE sell quality stuff. I think your most innexpensive option is going to be the DSS. Good hardware, webbing, crotch strap, knife and sheath... for something like $55... that's about as good as you are gonna get. Sorry... I just can't think of a cheaper way to do it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom