Hog Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer:
Whoa, I wouldn't go that far! I actually don't remember discussing this particular issue with you at all, Tobin. You certainly didn't talk me INTO the pro-fit, either. As I said, don't think we discussed this. I ordered the setup with the pro-fit for two reasons. First, because I was getting the rig to replace the orginal Zeagle setup I got at my LDS, who had no problem exchanging it for something of "equal" value. Since the price was equal with the pro-fit, that seemed the better "deal" (silly, I agree). Second, I was just worried about comfort, especially since the vast majority of my diving is shore diving, so was concerned about long walks. The pro-fit is wonderfully comfortable, so I'm now left thinking the hog wouldn't be a problem either (plus the benefits of simplicity...). Should always get the "simpler" thing first, since if that works, no need for the "fancier". Lesson learned.

If I'm asked my recommendation is always the Hog Harness, always. Why? Because I know most divers will be better served with a Hogarthian Harness. I know that they will have no objections from instructors they might encounter if they seek more training. I have never had any user that started with a Hogarthian Harness, switch to the Pro-Fit.

Some buyers are just set on buying a harness with QD's. That's why we have them, but my advice remains the same.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
If I'm asked my recommendation is always the Hog Harness, always.
Tobin

That's great, and I recognize why you hold this position (now). That's still very different than saying you tried to talk me out of the other harness. As I wrote earlier, we simply didn't have a discussion about this...

Rainer:
That's great, and I recognize why you hold this position (now). That's still very different than saying you tried to talk me out of the other harness. As I wrote earlier, we simply didn't have a discussion about this...

Perhaps you should poll the other DSS users and see what they report.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Perhaps you should poll the other DSS users and see what they report.

Tobin

Sorry, but how is this at all relevant to you stating we had a conversation that we didn't? Look, this just doesn't matter. I need a new harness, and I'm seeking suggestions about what to get (best value). Maybe that's a DSS setup, maybe not.

cool_hardware52:
And without a crotch strap, or Knife and sheath......

Tobin

I hadn't realized a Hogarthian harness came with a crotch strap, or knife and sheath....for that matter.

You can make the sheath from excess webbing you'll have left and cut the tip of a $1 steak knife to make a DIR line cutter (just make sure it has a serrated edge), but it's of course easier to order the DSS hog harness separately and that way you'll be sure to get everything done right.

evad:
I hadn't realized a Hogarthian harness came with a crotch strap, or knife and sheath....for that matter.

If you want your harness to be DIR compliant (and work properly) you need a crotch strap.

If you are comparing costs you need to have an apples to apples comparison.

Tobin

*Floater*:
it's of course easier to order the DSS hog harness separately and that way you'll be sure to get everything done right.

This is your position?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom