Hog Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently got a DSS singles kit. For whatever reason, I decided to get the pro-fit harness. I'd like to try a hog harness. Yeah, yeah, I probably could have saved some money... that said, what can I now do to save the maximum amount of money and still have the best hog harness possible? I see that DR sells a "complete" hog kit, as does DSS. Anyway to put this together for even cheaper? Specific suggestions (web links, etc) would be most welcomed.

When I was buying my first rig I considered buying everything separately to save a buck and I realized I wouldn't save much, so I just ordered the DSS singles rig package.

If you want to put it together yourself then checkout kidspot's page for what you need: http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/bpsetup.html

It's probably best to order everything from one place if possible to save on shipping. I'd try reefscuba.com

Some of the things are sort of difficult to do right yourself. Putting the grommet in the harness in two places isn't easy without a tool. You could just punch a hold but its less than ideal. Also sewing the material in the crotch strap requires a larger sewing machine. Probably cheaper to just buy it. They are not that expensive. I think I have some laying around for 40. I would probably try to find a buddy that has this system and try it before you by. If you are ever down this way give me a call and you can dive mine.

Brent

Rainer:
I recently got a DSS singles kit. For whatever reason, I decided to get the pro-fit harness. I'd like to try a hog harness. Yeah, yeah, I probably could have saved some money... that said, what can I now do to save the maximum amount of money and still have the best hog harness possible? I see that DR sells a "complete" hog kit, as does DSS. Anyway to put this together for even cheaper? Specific suggestions (web links, etc) would be most welcomed.

Our plates do not require a grommet of burning a hole in the webbing.

You might be able to save a few dollars, but you may not get the same quality of components. We use a nice heavy SS waist buckle that's not commonly available seperately, and the drings we furnish were selected because they are easier to clip off on.

If you want to build your own reefscuba is good place to start.

Tobin

Rainer:
Tell Tobin to mail you about 14' of 2" black webbing. He buys it in huge freakin' spools. It likely isn't more than .60 or.70 cents a foot. Pull the buckle off your current deluxe whatever harness, as well as any other hardware that pulls off. Use the same crotch strap...just leave it alone. If you need a couple chest D's, have Tobin throw in a couple of those also, and maybe like four keepers at what, a buck apiece?

Yank off whatever you have on your plate now and simply rethread the webbing. It takes about 15-20 minutes, including sizing it and getting the D rings just so, and thats doing it by yourself using a mirror. (Make it a little tight. It loosens in after the first couple dives and the staps adjust a bit...) It goes faster with an assistant! (Don't cross it in the back...jeez...)

It will likely cost you more in shipping than it will in parts. Just give Tobin a call and tell him what you want to do. No worries.

Edit: If you got one of those plastic quick release buckles then have Tobin throw in one of his SS buckles. Whatever it costs, it doesn't matter - trust me, if the cost of belt buckles is a problem here you're in the wrong sport. Just get T to send you whatever you need and thread it together. If you run up against 'issues', give us a shout. We give advice cheap! :wink:

Doc Intrepid:
Tell Tobin to mail you about 14' of 2" black webbing. He buys it in huge freakin' spools. It likely isn't more than .60 or.70 cents a foot. Pull the buckle off your current deluxe whatever harness, as well as any other hardware that pulls off. Use the same crotch strap...just leave it alone. If you need a couple chest D's, have Tobin throw in a couple of those also, and maybe like four keepers at what, a buck apiece?

Yank off whatever you have on your plate now and simply rethread the webbing. It takes about 15-20 minutes, including sizing it and getting the D rings just so, and thats doing it by yourself using a mirror. (Make it a little tight. It loosens in after the first couple dives and the staps adjust a bit...) It goes faster with an assistant!

It will likely cost you more in shipping than it will in parts. Just give Tobin a call and tell him what you want to do. No worries.

Hey Doc!

I tried to get Rainer to buy a Hogarthian Harness in the first place. Unfortunately there is no part of the Pro-Fit that will transfer into a DIR compliant harness, not the drings, not the crotch strap, not the waist buckle. Sorry that's just the way it is.

You are absolutely correct, the webbing is the inexpensive part. You need 5, 2 inch drings, 3 serrated keepers, 1 plain keeper, and a waist buckle. Then you need some soft webbing for the crotch strap and a stout sewing machine,.....and some mountain bike inner tube (26 x 2.15 works pretty well)

Oh, and of course the "Dalton" safety knife and sheath that's part of our harness kit.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Hey Doc!

I tried to get Rainer to buy a Hogarthian Harness in the first place.

Whoa, I wouldn't go that far! I actually don't remember discussing this particular issue with you at all, Tobin. You certainly didn't talk me INTO the pro-fit, either. As I said, don't think we discussed this. I ordered the setup with the pro-fit for two reasons. First, because I was getting the rig to replace the orginal Zeagle setup I got at my LDS, who had no problem exchanging it for something of "equal" value. Since the price was equal with the pro-fit, that seemed the better "deal" (silly, I agree). Second, I was just worried about comfort, especially since the vast majority of my diving is shore diving, so was concerned about long walks. The pro-fit is wonderfully comfortable, so I'm now left thinking the hog wouldn't be a problem either (plus the benefits of simplicity...). Should always get the "simpler" thing first, since if that works, no need for the "fancier". Lesson learned.

Well, when I "talked" with Tobin, I wanted the pro-fit because of the quick disconnect and he talked me out of it.

I'll be trying the rig out in the pool tonight. I am a bit concerned with donning and doffing the rig but I am assured by all that it gets easier fairly quickly.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom