Hog Harness Webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 1 piece Hog harness for a newly acquired Zeagle AL BP. I was looking at the basic Dive Rite harness. It says it's soft. I guess I would like to know how soft is it? I currently have a DSS BPW where the webbing is fairly stiff.

Also is the buckle used for the DR basic harness any good?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do what you want but it is actually better to have a stiff(er) webbing. It makes it much easier to get in and out of the shoulders, doff and don, general handling. But, I understand some what soft webbing, just keep in mind it will droop and not hold it's shape nor be as secure/stable on the various stays.

N

If you want webbing that's not too stiff like the really hard resin soaked type, or the really soft type like what's used for crotch straps, then try some webbing supplied to dive shops by Trident. I don't know who makes it for Trident (probably from China, what isn't?), and I don't know what plate manufacturers are using that particular webbing, but I've replaced my webbing on various plates and my dive shop had rolls of standard weight belt webbing from Trident. It's wonderful stuff.
If that helps any.

DR basic harness webbing is very very soft. Once wet, it is so sloppy to a point your d-ring/triglide won't stay in place. After a few dives, I make crotch strap out of the harness webbing. Reason being DR crotch strap webbing is very very stiff. Their choice of webbing is very unconventional.

Personally, I recommend 2" webbing from DiveGearExpress. They are just about right in terms of stiffness. If you don't mind spending a little more, the Halcyon webbing is actaully perfect in stiffness. You can get BLEM for $13. DGX one is close. If you even want something stiffer, Piranhna has them, but IMO, they are a little on the too stiff side.

So don't get the DR basical harness.

Unless they've changed it in the last year, my DR basic harness is as stiff as most other webbing I've seen (pretty much the same as my Hollis)

Here's a "demonstration" of how stiff it is. It's obviously stiff enough to hold itself in a loop shape with the D-rings attached

IMG_0804.JPG

Ya definately as posted the stiff webbing for the harness is the way to go, very easy to get in and out. However I haven't seen it mentioned but get a strip of soft webbing for the crotch strap, trust me on that :)

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have a DSS BPW and the webbing is stiff. I like the webbing to be stiff for donning and doffing purposes (except for the crotch strap which is soft :D). I had read that some of the older DR webbing was really soft, too soft.

CT Sean - That looks about as stiff as the DSS webbing based on the way it holds it shape.

I'll check into the "H" harness, although I feel that wearing the "H" is like wearing Gucci! :D

On a separate note, any feedback on the North East Scuba Supply cam bands? Bulk Purchase Cam Straps - Plastic Version - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

This will be my warm water setup so it will only get wet about 5 days a year.

Thanks, Mike

Soft stuff is for the crotch strap only. Believe me you want that bit of webbing to be soft and supple :) The benefit is much more noticeable when scooting but even without if causes much less wear and tear to that area of your suit.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have a DSS BPW and the webbing is stiff. I like the webbing to be stiff for donning and doffing purposes (except for the crotch strap which is soft :D). I had read that some of the older DR webbing was really soft, too soft.

CT Sean - That looks about as stiff as the DSS webbing based on the way it holds it shape.

I'll check into the "H" harness, although I feel that wearing the "H" is like wearing Gucci! :D

On a separate note, any feedback on the North East Scuba Supply cam bands? Bulk Purchase Cam Straps - Plastic Version - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

This will be my warm water setup so it will only get wet about 5 days a year.

Thanks, Mike

Problem solved... North East Scuba had the DSS harness in stock so I just ordered that since I am familiar with the webbing from my current BP. Also picked up a few other goodies. Need to justify the shipping!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom