Hog D1 vs MK 17/C300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just about ready to push the button on the Hog D1, but the guy in my LDS is trying to push me toward the MK 17/C300. Aside from him getting his markup, is there something to be said for the SP which outweighs the Hog? I'm a new diver, but have in mind to eventually get down beyond recreational depths. Thanks.

Ed

Do a search on C300 here DA Aquamaster once posted an outstanding report

If you decide to go SP I would take G250v instead of C300

I have to see if there are any authorized dealers in my area to service the Hog; I suspect not, which means I would have to send it in to whichever authorized dealer I purchase it from.

Does it really mean that? You can get the parts kits yourself. Find a local tech ( at an LDS or not ) who has experience and he should figure it out.

I wouldn't give 2 cents for local servicing. HOG has a great (albeit short) record for quality. What gives HOG the big advantage is price.

The OP's profile indicates he's not certified (or at least new) so honestly either reg will give you a good, long and reliable service. Many people own the HOG regs (myself included) because their performance is outstanding and we like the philosophy of the company (charge less for good quality, share knowledge about the regulators with customers and empower them to service and care for their own gear). Those things are not as important to some people as the length of tenure that Scubapro enjoys in the industry and how recognizable the brand is.

Regardless of which way you go, you'll have a very good piece of equipment that will serve you well. You just need to prioritize what's important to you beyond performance (because they're negligibly different there).

I used HOG regulator myself. Their quality is as good, if not better than any big name out there. I would have no problem recommend them to anyone based on that aspect. However, I do think local support is very importatn especially for newer divers. Local support could mean you have a regulator tech friend that you trust, or a LDS that will support HOG, or the diver him/herself. The last one is not likely for a new diver tho

Sending out the reg for service once a year is not that bad. But what if the reg come back with minor issues. Or even more likely, 2 dives after coming back from service, something needs a small adjustment. Nothing is worse than sending the regulators out for a minor adjustment, could have been a 15 minutes job at a LDS, but now a 2 week turn around time.

Have that said, if OP can get local support, HOG regulator is very good value for the money.

The Hog D1 is as good as anything else out there, and it's stupid easy to service. If you know which end of a wrench is the business end you should be able to take care of business, though you should buy a $20 IP gauge.

I highly recommend figuring out how to service it anyway. When you're on a boat and hook up your reg and the second stage is just freeflowing, you'll know what to do about it.

Back
Top Bottom