HOG 2nd stage vacuum check fails

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaponeer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Received a new HOG 2nd stage in the mail today along with the Miflex hose it attaches to. Connected it to my SP MK25. I'm unable to put pressure on it yet (no tank available) but I did do a vaccum check and it sucks air - no vacuum. My 1st stage is sealed and all hoses are tight, before someone asks. My other reg, SP G250, is airtight with the vacuum check on the same 1st stage. Any ideas, suggestions? I'm leaving Tuesday for Cozumel.

It could be the exhaust valve that's folded over or the diaphragm might not be seated right. Or maybe a leak in the mouthpiece or the mouthpiece wiretie not tight enough.

Let us know.

Henrik

Received a new HOG 2nd stage in the mail today along with the Miflex hose it attaches to. Connected it to my SP MK25. I'm unable to put pressure on it yet (no tank available) but I did do a vaccum check and it sucks air - no vacuum. My 1st stage is sealed and all hoses are tight, before someone asks. My other reg, SP G250, is airtight with the vacuum check on the same 1st stage. Any ideas, suggestions? I'm leaving Tuesday for Cozumel.

Why don't you pm Chris and maybe he can help you over the phone...

BTW... I'm headed down to Coz March 6th and am looking forward to hearing about your trip when you get back... especially water temps and condition of reefs.

Another idea: Try removing the hose from the 2nd stage, put a thumb over the 2nd stage hose fitting, and repeat the test. This isolates the 2nd stage from all hoses. If it still leaks, see if you can "hear" where it is coming from.

I once a had a 2nd fail the vacuum test, and after some searching I discovered the leak was not in the 2nd stage (air was being drawn in through the BC inflator hose, through the 1st stage, then to the 2nd.... :wink: ).

Let us know.

Do you have both 2nd stages attached to the first stage at the same time? Is your
G250 a newer HP version by any chance?

In any event, if Henrik's suggestions don't resolve the problem them remove the HOG 2nd from the 1st stage and hold your finger over the end of the hose while you repeat the test to eliminate any 1st stage problem.

Another idea: Try removing the hose from the 2nd stage, put a thumb over the 2nd stage hose fitting, and repeat the test. This isolates the 2nd stage from all hoses. If it still leaks, see if you can "hear" where it is coming from.

Removed the hose and sealed the 2nd stage fitting with my thumb. Still sucking air. Appears to be coming from the exhaust port. I can also hear the exhaust diaphragm collapsing when I suck, allowing air in. Shouldn't there be something there that keeps the diaphragm from collapsing like that?

Do you have both 2nd stages attached to the first stage at the same time? Is your G250 a newer HP version by any chance?

Both regs on the same first stage. The SP reg is a G250HP.

Along the sames lines as what HenrikBP mentioned...
Have you taken the cover off to visualize the exhaust valves? (It's a screw-off top, right?)
Was/is the diaphragm seated properly?

You may want to take pictures. And, if you do, please post them. :D
I think we're all a little curious...

I don't have a vacumn tester but I did stick my mouth up to mine and sucked in lightly and could not dissern any leak. This is with no hose and my finger stuck in the hose hole.

Not very scientific but it's all I have!

I don't have a vacumn tester but I did stick my mouth up to mine and sucked in lightly and could not dissern any leak. This is with no hose and my finger stuck in the hose hole.

Not very scientific but it's all I have!

That's exactly what I did, and it leaks rather well. Guess I'll need to take the cover off and take a look ASAP.

Ok, this got me to take mine apart.

Wow, the ring is alumimum... was not expecting that.

Pink, they used a pink diaphram and exhaust valve.... I am so embarrassed.

And if you do not have a seal on the supply hose.. air goes thru it really easy.

One could leak...

1. around the mouth piece.. as the openning around the Hog is a lot bigger than that of the 250 (have several of those).

2. Around the diaphram.. unscrew and check... little hard to get a hold of, but came unscrewed really easily.

3. Around the exhaust valve...not difficult to inspect.

Mine seals by the way, as long as I have the hose off the 1st stage and sealed.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom