HMAS Adelaide Being Sunk 27th March On Central Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad that some groups seem to use environmental excuses for nothing more than to further their own personal agendas! All this does is cost money that could certainly be used for things that would benefit people. These campaigners manage to alienate and turn potential allies to adversaries! "

Never let the facts get in the way of a closed mind!

Interesting link here sounds like similar problem NIMBY!
ARSBC

so has the tribunal finished and it's now simply a case of deliberation?

I can't find any of the transcripts or a current update.... I'm finding myself actually going to the noship page to see if there's an update :s

Where is the no ship page? anyone got a link?

here you go ... No Ship at Avoca

I like this from their "Facts" (?) page ... https://noshipatavoca.s3.amazonaws.com/NoShipArtificialReefFacts.pdf

"It is estimated that if scrap steel from the
stockpile of US vessels were harnessed,
approx US$45 million worth of much needed
(150,000 tons) and valuable scrap steel would
be infused into dwindling US supplies."

Gee, 5 million dollars a year times 10 years .... I guess that with the local income of just one ship as an artificial reef here (Yukon) we have surpassed the amount that could have been returned from scrapping the steel of the entire US mothball fleet :laughing:

Another "fact" from the NoShipys page ...

"It is estimated by Worley Parsons that the dive
site will create only five additional full time
jobs."

That sounds reasonable ...
.. 5 millon a year to our local economy for the last 10 years and just 5 jobs to show for it

Yeah, right :shakehead:

it depends on how it is calculated... the directly created permenant positions may only include 5 staff to man the marine park surrounding the site? it all depends on what the criteria is? while laughable, it might be accurate.

obviously it doesn't take into account the extra sydney dive boats going up, possibly (probably) a new dive shop or tour boat company starting up, DM's, instructors, maintenance of all of the above, and the site...

so... anywho... anyone know yet where to find the decision date?? sinking in October would prove pretty good timing for the oncoming summer :)

Last edited:
it depends on how it is calculated... the directly created permenant positions may only include 5 staff to man the marine park surrounding the site? it all depends on what the criteria is? while laughable, it might be accurate.

obviously it doesn't take into account the extra sydney dive boats going up, possibly (probably) a new dive shop or tour boat company starting up, DM's, instructors, maintenance of all of the above, and the site...

so... anywho... anyone know yet where to find the decision date?? sinking in October would prove pretty good timing for the oncoming summer :)

Not to mention extra income for local cafe's, restaurants, accomodation etc. plus other non-dive tourism attractions which will get more visitors and hence be able to employ more staff to keep up with demand. The 5mil isn't all going to go to the local dive shop!!! But I suspect that's what the objection is, some locals just don't want outsiders in "their" patch and they're willing to damage the local economy to achieve that goal.

Yay!

The ex-HMAS Adelaide will be scuttled off Avoca Beach on the Central Coast.
A decision handed down at 2pm today by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal has cleared the way for the former war ship to be scuttled off the coast.

The decision came after a three-week hearing where the State Government argued the case for sinking the ship and the Environmental Defenders Group, on behalf of the No Ship Action Group, argued against it.

The three week hearing wrapped up on July 17 to consider the evidence.
The scuttling was planned for March 27 and while the tribunal has cleared the way, a new date will take some time to determine and dependent on a range of logistical and natural factors including weather and whale migration.

The direct costs arising from the delay in the scuttling now stands at $1 million not including legal costs.

1 millon dollars ... sure hope that some of that is recovered from the no shipys group

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom