HMAS Adelaide Being Sunk 27th March On Central Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotta get some sleep so I will have to read that tomorrow :hugs:

It is a good thing to see the courts let her be sunk eventually but I will wait to see if the no shippy people appeal. They have 28 days.
They said on Central Coast radio yesterday that after they read the report fully they will decide then if they will appeal.

I actually hope the courts make the no ship people pay back the people of NSW the money it has cost us in delays.
$1 million could have bought books for kids in schools, new equipment at hospitals to save peoples lives, but no we had to spend it on this because some people get their panties in a twist.

I know next to nothing about law... but I'm guessing no ship action group won't need to pay legal fees?

the government needs to remove the red paint i believe (there's an article on SMH at the moment, you probably need to search though).

additionally the organisation of the no ship action group I'm guessing is a pty ltd $2 company so there's no point taking civil action. IF they do appeal, they shouldn't be allowed to fold the company to avoid paying legal fees (if they were awarded legal fees) then start up another company and appeal the decision....? surely they can't do that?

just sink the damn boat!

1. Adding the following to condition 2 to the permit as originally granted
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]:
[/FONT][/FONT](e) the ship must be cleaned of all remaining wiring, including junction boxes, which might be associated with polychlorinated biphenyls;
(f) the ship must be cleaned of all canvas and insulation; and
© Commonwealth of Australia (2010) 2
(g) the ship must be cleaned of all exfoliating and/or exfoliated red lead paint;

I don't believe that means all the red paint, only that which is peeling

I know next to nothing about law... but I'm guessing no ship action group won't need to pay legal fees?

the government needs to remove the red paint i believe (there's an article on SMH at the moment, you probably need to search though).

additionally the organisation of the no ship action group I'm guessing is a pty ltd $2 company so there's no point taking civil action. IF they do appeal, they shouldn't be allowed to fold the company to avoid paying legal fees (if they were awarded legal fees) then start up another company and appeal the decision....? surely they can't do that?

just sink the damn boat!

I would imagine there's no scope to recover costs unfortunatly. The administrative appears tribunal is a body who's purpose is to review decisions made by the Australian government bodies. So this wasn't a "case" as such which can be won or lost and damages awared, it was a review of the Ministers decision which the court appears to have been mostly satisfied with, bar some minor amendments i.e. additional cleaning. So on the positive side I would say it at least reinforces the legality of scuttling ships to create artificial reefs / dive sites.

Now when can I dive it :) I'm quite keen to see how it changes as different organisms get established.

well there you go!

I've been told by my dive shop that settling takes around 6-8 weeks, to ensure the structure is stable and not moving.... not sure if that number just popped into his head or whether it's on good authority.

the demolishion team will probably be a bit upset if it isn't a perfect sinking with all the time inbetween setup and go.

Well I can't wait to get up there and dive it. I have been meaning to dive that area but never have.. that means at least two and probably 7 additional people up there for lunch and diving on a semi regular basis!

No Ship at Avoca

they are thanking their legal team, so perhaps they won't be appealing this decision?

if you exclude the NIMBY factor, from their point of view they have got a good result. all additional lead paint, PCB's will be removed which was their main claim. the tidal claims are a little hopfull to say the least and aren't supported by any real data.

so they are left with just not wanting the ship there for fear of more parking issues in terrigal and boats and yellow bouys constantly off the coast at Avoca spoilling their view.

well there you go!

I've been told by my dive shop that settling takes around 6-8 weeks, to ensure the structure is stable and not moving.... not sure if that number just popped into his head or whether it's on good authority.

the demolishion team will probably be a bit upset if it isn't a perfect sinking with all the time inbetween setup and go.

Hopefully it wont be like the Canberra which took about 3 months to open after sinking. They were held up by unfavourable Wx conditions but even still it seemed to take a long time.

Back
Top Bottom