Hit & run diver accident in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Jakarta, Indonesia & Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is getting sickening. Its not like there is never a diver or two on Pickles every now and then.... There was about six inches of swell in the Keys this weekend and great vis so weather conditions were not a factor. Somehow I bet the "irresponsible, inexperienced, self-centered, having no situational awareness, knuckle-head behind the wheel of a boat" factor may have played a huge role. Thank goodness the man who was struck is going to recover.

Reef diver struck, injured by passing boat | KeysNews.com

From the "KeysNews" 17/2/09:

"A 66-year-old Key Largo man diving near Pickles Reef was seriously injured Saturday when he was struck by a 20- to 25-foot fishing boat.

Joseph Diver suffered two 8- to 10-inch lacerations to the lower part of one leg and was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, said Bobby Dube, a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman. The boat that struck Diver didn't stop, Dube said.

"It's very possible the boater didn't know he hit a diver," Dube said. "I've run boats for 20 years and hit all kinds of things in the water, but usually you have a sense of what you hit when it happens."

Diver was in the water with his two brothers, who are from Michigan. Two women on the dive boat gave officers a general description of the boat that struck Diver, but they did not see the name of the boat. The women told officers the vessel came from behind the dive boat, but it was not traveling recklessly or abnormally, Dube said.

There was a dive flag in the water and all of the divers were within 100 feet of the flag, Dube said.

Diver's injurious were serious, but not life-threatening, Dube said.

Officers are investigating and determining whether charges are appropriate. Dube said if the boater left the scene knowing he hit a person in the water, then felony charges could follow -- provided officers are able to identify the boat and the driver.

"Nine out of 10 times, a boater will stop and render aid if they're aware they hit something or somebody," Dube said. "It all depends on the investigation. He's lucky to be alive, that's for sure."

alinhardt@keysnews.com

Last edited:
It's truly amazes me at how many times I have to wave boaters who come within 100 yards of my dive boat and put my divers in danger.

We had a boater a few months ago who actually hit and busted the mooring ball we were tied to. The driver of that boat (I wouldn't even call him a Captain) wasn't even at the helm. Thankfully non of our divers were hurt. We reported the incident to the Coast Guard, but don't know if anything was ever done.

Bottom line is be careful out there. If you're diving always look and listen when you are coming to the surface. If at all possible at the end of your dive, try and surface next to the boat you are diving from. If you need to come up away from the boat and have a safety sausage, inflate it to make yourself more visible.

Keep in mind that most of the boaters out there don't know the rules of a dive flag and/or don't even look where they are driving as they are looking behind the boat waiting for a fish to hit one of their reels.

Be Safe

Good Diving,

Saturday was the first weekend we have had really nice weather in a long time. Boats where all over the place, it sorta looked like mini season. I had a fishing boat troll for divers right over the Grove with two dive boats on the mooring balls. Both of us had large dive flags flying. There are so many people out there that ether don't know or don't care that a dive flag means stay away.

on my open water cert dive off hillsboro inlet, my wife, myself and my instructor all were almost hit by a complete idiot on a sport cruiser--ran right over us--I swam under and me and my instructor pulled my wife under as she was trying to let the air out of her bc. I looked up and could have touched the side of the boat and the propeller. Nice intro into the world of diving! The guy was not running a course for us, and then turned at the last minute directly into us. He did not even know how to trim out his boat and was riding with his nose in the air. Ran right over our flag. A total near death experience for all 3 of us.

Just read this update on KeysNews.com. Yesterday's story was very spotty.

I hope this guy is going to be OK.

Pete just started a Dive Flag Awareness (DFA) section in the Basic Scuba section.

Rob Murphy was on Wild 95.5 Radio this morning in West Palm promoting Dive Flag Awareness. He did a great job explaining to unaware people what the flag is and what it means.

Signatures for petitions to start an annual Dive Flag Awareness week in Florida are being offered at dive shows like the recent "The Blue Wild", where the response was very strong!
The boat ramp drive on Jan 31st was so-so because of how cold it was.

Surprizingly on-line petitions have dropped a lot since Rob's injury to just about shut off completely. :(

You can sign one here: Florida Skin Diver

Chad

Saturday another diver was hit. Hope he's going to be OK.

The first report this morning on SB: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/272806-another-florida-diver-hit-boat.html

We've got to get together to better spread the word about Dive Flag Awareness!

Reef diver struck, injured by passing boat | KeysNews.com

Reef diver struck, injured by passing boat
By ADAM LINHARDT Citizen Staff

A 66-year-old Key Largo man diving near Pickles Reef was seriously injured Saturday when he was struck by a 20- to 25-foot fishing boat.

Joseph Diver suffered two 8- to 10-inch lacerations to the lower part of one leg and was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, said Bobby Dube, a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman. The boat that struck Diver didn't stop, Dube said.

"It's very possible the boater didn't know he hit a diver," Dube said. "I've run boats for 20 years and hit all kinds of things in the water, but usually you have a sense of what you hit when it happens."

Diver was in the water with his two brothers, who are from Michigan. Two women on the dive boat gave officers a general description of the boat that struck Diver, but they did not see the name of the boat. The women told officers the vessel came from behind the dive boat, but it was not traveling recklessly or abnormally, Dube said.

There was a dive flag in the water and all of the divers were within 100 feet of the flag, Dube said.

Diver's injurious were serious, but not life-threatening, Dube said.

Officers are investigating and determining whether charges are appropriate. Dube said if the boater left the scene knowing he hit a person in the water, then felony charges could follow -- provided officers are able to identify the boat and the driver.

"Nine out of 10 times, a boater will stop and render aid if they're aware they hit something or somebody," Dube said. "It all depends on the investigation. He's lucky to be alive, that's for sure."

alinhardt@keysnews.com

Last edited:
Dive Flag Awareness (DFA) news:

Pete recently started a Dive Flag Awareness (DFA) section in the Basic Scuba section.

Rob Murphy was on Wild 95.5 Radio this morning in West Palm promoting Dive Flag Awareness. He did a great job explaining to unaware people what the flag is and what it means.

Signatures for petitions to start an annual Dive Flag Awareness week in Florida are being offered at dive shows like the recent "The Blue Wild", where the response was very strong!
The boat ramp drive on Jan 31st was so-so because of how cold it was.

Surprizingly on-line petitions have dropped a lot since Rob's injury to just about shut off completely. :(

You can sign one here: http://www.floridaskindiver.com/Dive%20Flag%20Awareness.htm

Chad

This is the exact reason I stay out of the keys during regular season. I have seen to many people driving boats that are inexperienced and to many driving intoxicated. Its really no different in any of the resort places. I have had to wave off one boat so far. Next time, some unknowing captain will be getting a flare up the you know where. Most of them know what the flag means, I think they just don't care. I think law enforcement needs to start watching out for it, and start writing tickets. Then drivers will the get the idea.

Just my two cents.:D

Back
Top Bottom