Hit & run diver accident in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why don't they make it wake speed only inside the markers all the way to the swim area?

Because if they were making a wake they would be running on plane, or at least at a fairly high rate of speed.

I believe what you're trying to say is why don't they make it a no wake zone.

Sorry for the 3-peat of my response to this report, but the mod moved two threads together... well never mind, repetition is a good thing!

In the real picture of this year, we can't change boating laws... if we had a dollar for every recommendation regarding that we could fund some very heavy duty Dive Flag Awareness campaigns!

Lets deal with reality... so the statistics slow down or stop!

Chad

They need to enforce boater safety and require new boaters to take classes to obtain a skippers license, same as a motor cycle. I get so p@#$off when I'm out boating and I see what some of these monkeys are doing....if only I had a gun, I'd shoot them.

They need to make some high profile prosecutions in these cases.

They also need to make whatever changes to the law is required to impound the boats when the accident involves significant injuries or death and is due to negligence. That's what it'll take to get the attention of some boaters.

They need to make some high profile prosecutions in these cases.
I hope that if some boater runs over and kills me when I am diving, that no charges are filed. As long as my wife gets a payday from insurance company and/or civil suit, that's all that matters to me.

I hope that if some boater runs over and kills me when I am diving, that no charges are filed. As long as my wife gets a payday from insurance company and/or civil suit, that's all that matters to me.

Yeah, screw everyone else, it's all about you. Do you ever think before you post?

This is tragic, and makes me mad. Unfortunately, boaters are MUCH more popular vs. divers, and they pay bucks for their boats, gas, licensing, etc. So boaters have $$$ on their side, and divers in general do not. We are a rather small minority compared to the boating community, even if some divers do own boats, and there is a strong diving industry in FL, and CA.

I doubt anything will change, but making boaters more aware of what a dive flag means is a good step that folks in the diving community can try to accomplish.

My thoughts go out to the family of the injured.

Be careful with your demands to authority... there are probably 25 boaters for every one of us, 25 votes to 1. They could easily "solve the problem" by making laws that keep divers away from anywhere there are boats (it has happened in a few places already), and that isn't a "solution" we want.
We need to approach this in a friendly fashion, not as adversaries - we want to help boaters to be alert and aware of divers/diver down flags so they can avoid us because they want to, not because they have to.
><>
--- edit: looks like RonFrank beat me to the punch :)

Yeah, screw everyone else, it's all about you. Do you ever think before you post?
Huh? If I am run over and killed by a boater - how am I benefiting from that? I also never said a word about screwing anyone else.

Be careful with your demands to authority... there are probably 25 boaters for every one of us, 25 votes to 1. They could easily "solve the problem" by making laws that keep divers away from anywhere there are boats (it has happened in a few places already), and that isn't a "solution" we want.
We need to approach this in a friendly fashion, not as adversaries - we want to help boaters to be alert and aware of divers/diver down flags so they can avoid us because they want to, not because they have to.
And that's exactly it. "More Government" is almost never the solution to any given problem. While Florida and possibly California may be exceptions, I think most states have very little (relative to other things) positive economic impact (think taxes and jobs) attributable to diving (excluding the possibility of manufacturing). Yes, some, but in the overall scheme of things, I have to think, really not that much. So, in general, I can see how it would be attractive for many states to put an end to the problem simply by banning SCUBA diving - period, end of story. Who is going to lobby against it? Yeah, sure, some people - but in the overall scheme of things, most people (i.e. voters) are not going to complain about it (after all, it's not their hobby, so what do they care?) and the businesses that will complain are probably few in number relative to the business that may support such a ban (think fishing & boating recreation industries). So - if you ask for more government, be careful what you ask for - you might just get it.

><>
--- edit: looks like RonFrank beat me to the punch :)

I can see the politicians coming up with a real simple solution, no one entering from the public beach can go past the swim buoys. It's too dangerous with all the boat traffic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom