Hit & run diver accident in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, a new improved use for bang-sticks, that would get their attention and give us more divable wrecks...we could plead self defense since thay are attacking us with a deadly weapon (the same reason Police can shoot at cars that are used against them).

Mike

Isnt there a way that boaters need to get a license... If you drive a car you need one... why not a boater as well... I believe this would be a good start, it may take a few years, but I am tired of seeing boats flying over my head and running over my dive flag...

There is no excuse for the carelessness exhibited by some boaters. I shutter to think of what will happen as it warms up. As a victim of a hit and run drunk driver (sideswiped on our Harley 25 years ago--nearly killed us), I know there are organizations--Mothers Against Drunk Drivers. We need a strong organization for divers to keep us from getting maimed and killed doing something we enjoy so much. Hooray for the dive flag awareness campaign and I would like to see more patrolling of the waters by the Coast Guard to issue citations to Bozo boaters.

Isnt there a way that boaters need to get a license... If you drive a car you need one... why not a boater as well... I believe this would be a good start, it may take a few years, but I am tired of seeing boats flying over my head and running over my dive flag...

I don't think licensing boat owners will solve the problem. There have been incidents with parasail boats. These guys are licensed USCG captains, licensing doesn't do much good when it comes to inattention and attitude.

The blue wild seminar had a DFG officer giving a talk. DFG has decided to increase enforcement on the dive flag issue. They set up a boat with a dive flag and used radar to measure the distance. Guess who the biggest offenders were--boaters that were divers. They are the ones that know what a dive flag is and yet they ignored the distance rule.

One of my buddies on Sundays 2/15/09 dive at Pompano Ledge was almost hit by a boat running full speed ahead inside the white ball reef markers. I yelled and waved my arms and the boat saw me but never saw my buddy until he was right beside the boat. I was very scared and I hope I never get hit by a boat. Where do you go, what do you do when you surface and a boat is coming straight for your flag and you?

Why don't they make it wake speed only inside the markers all the way to the swim area?

Someone on the beach saw the near miss and reported it, the broward county helicopter showed up and by the time we made it into the beach lifeguards where running up to us to tell us to be more careful, can you believe it? We turned to the lifeguard and said why don’t you tell this to the boat driver, we had our flag.

Someone on the beach saw the near miss and reported it, the broward county helicopter showed up and by the time we made it into the beach lifeguards where running up to us to tell us to be more careful, can you believe it? We turned to the lifeguard and said why donÃÕ you tell this to the boat driver, we had our flag.

Kim U need to be more careful as the lifeguard tells U...... How, is another question... maybe get a bigger flag :lotsalove::dork2::mooner::crafty:

Kim U need to be more careful as the lifeguard tells U...... How, is another question... maybe get a bigger flag :lotsalove::dork2::mooner::crafty:

I think Danwbeery is at home building a 6ft flag as we speak :wink:

I saw two different examples Sunday. 3 buffoons were spearfishing no where close to there boat or dive flag. A pwc came racing thru the reef at full speed. You just cannot legislate stupidity!!

What is the best spear tip for Bowriders? How about Bayliners? Searays?

Only slightly tongue in cheek...

During one of our Lake Lanier dives we had a Pontoon boat pull up to the dive flag and try to steal it...morons!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom