History Student needs help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

College Diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am doing a paper on scuba equipment, and am having trouble finding information specifically on development during the 20th century.

Also - for some of the more experienced equipment people:
What (in your opinion) is the most important advancement in scuba equipment, and why.

As far as the RDP is concerned - anyone know where I can go to find information on the historical development of this table?

Thanks for your time

The most important advancement in scuba technology? Honestly?

In my view it is the development of the rebreather. Certainly buoyancy devices, underwater lighting, exposure protection, and the understanding of mixed gases have moved diving on by leaps.

But the rebreather is the next frontier. The ability to stretch all other known technologies in the pursuit of exploration, science, research, and deeper understanding of the underwater realm. It's been around longer than open circuit SCUBA. The technology is well understood from an engineering perspective.

Visiting the underwater world without seeming alien to marine life has forced some science to be re-written. I have been fortunate to spend time with several marine biologists, and listening to how this technology is advancing science in this field is awe inspiring. It has allowed exploration into caves where no one had dreamed of going before. It has allowed resarch at depths that made open circuit scuba hugely impractical.

Quite honestly, I believe rebreathers are the future SCUBA.

Actually, the rebreather predates open circuit.

I'd suggest asking this question on www.vintagedoublehose.com and I'd suggest talking with Sam Miller.

College Diver:
I am doing a paper on scuba equipment, and am having trouble finding information specifically on development during the 20th century.

Also - for some of the more experienced equipment people:
What (in your opinion) is the most important advancement in scuba equipment, and why.

As far as the RDP is concerned - anyone know where I can go to find information on the historical development of this table?

Thanks for your time

Try this....I only glanced @ it after it came up, but looked like some possible help could be obtained thru some sites.....good luck.......

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=history+of+scuba+equipment&btnG=Google+Search

Here’s something that you’ likely did not know, back in 1918 in Japan, one Riichi Watanabe invented and dove a Scuba.

RDP: page 173

I would say the development of high pressure compressors and storage vessels allowed the biggest leap in diving technology in the 20th century. It allowed SCUBA to develop and grow into what it is now.

College Diver:
Others have pointed you to the Rubicon Research Repository. Our NEDU collection is full of equipment evaluations. We are only up through 1970 so anything past that will be hit or miss. Please PM me if you need help with those.

College Diver:
This is IT:
Development and validation of no-stop decompression procedures for recreational diving: the DSAT recreational dive planner.
Hamilton, Rogers, and Powell. 1994
RRR ID: 4228

This is also worth a read:
Doppler ultrasound monitoring of the gas phase formation following decompression in repetitive dives.
Powell, Spencer, and Rogers. 1988
RRR ID: 4229

PADI just granted us permission to add these to the repository.

Good luck!

I'd postulate that it's a chicken/egg thing.

Many a pioneer did/do some remarkable things, then and now.

I'd opine that it's mass production, or/and mass education that has made diving what it is today. Without question, some old/new stuff is crafted, invented allowing us to do more. I'm grateful there are folks out there wanting to be leaders and test divers, learn has they go kinda thing...but you take away the drive the critical mass whatever (marketing, manufacturing, teaching) supports and our chosen activity would be a lot different, not has far along has it is.

To support this thought...I believe our brains are far and away THE most important piece of gear we take diving. Without the information for us to learn from, because so many have tried, failed,and succeded would our brains be so far along? Without the countless studies, experiences, from all parts of the world, would we know so much about the ever increasing mile stones that we do today?

The growing masses, using easier than ever mass produced gear...it's why we are where we are. Now some might say, maybe a different thread, that we are behind where we could be because of this...then I guess we need that wow piece of gear now!

Hoa!

For scuba (not surface supplied) the most important development would be the demand regulator.

Even a CCR unit requires a demand regulator. Therefore both OCS and CCR rely on it.

Good luck with your term paper in your scuba course.

College Diver:

The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving has a great chapter on the development of the RDP. Available at you PADI Retailer, or borrow one from a DM or Instructor.

Back
Top Bottom