History: Good or bad if Texas annexed CZM in 1838?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I totally agree with you. The special Guam visa program no longer exists however. Currently, a regular tourist Visa to the US is required. I know this because my Filipino girlfriend can no longer visit Guam as it's extremely difficult for unmarried women to get a tourist visa to the US. I really wish they would reinstate the special Guam and Northern Mariana Islands visa.

Hmm didn't know that ended. I wonder if that means one would no longer have to clear customs when flying from Guam to the US?

DandyDon, in the anemone thread (I am moving it here) said:

Even so, Sam Houston was later involved as a partner in a Galveston, Texas company that was formed in 1841 for the purpose of purchasing Cozumel from the Yucatan government. A deposit was put down, sections of the island surveyed, and the deal was all set to be finalized when the US bank holding the balance of the 100,000usd purchase amount went insolvent. The partners lost their funds and the project was abandoned.

There was a second effort to buy Cozumel in 1862, when US President Abraham Lincoln tried to convince Benito Juarez to sell him the island so he could dump freed black slaves there. Juarez refused to sell, so Lincoln found another island off the coast of Haiti and started shipping freed slaves there. Read more about that in my book!

I was hoping you'd mention that, too. In the book you noted the British complaining about it, but I guess there's no evidence they actually meddled in the affair?

Oh, I know. The Brutus and the Invincible Yucatan campaign was in the summer of 1837, and they both wrecked in Galveston on return in August, ending the Texas Navy for the time. President Lamar wasn't inaugurated until December 1, 1938 - with Sam Houston's 3 hour farewell speech. :eek:

It was the early days of the Republic and they all had much to learn. I doubt that Texas would have forfeited eastern New Mexico on joining the US if the Republic hadn't been in such financial problems.

Sometimes I'm glad they forfeited the extra land. Can you imagine the state shape on license plates if they didn't? Plus, we might not have stories like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-m...license-when-clerk-asked-new-mexico-passport/

Sometimes I'm glad they forfeited the extra land. Can you imagine the state shape on license plates if they didn't? Plus, we might not have stories like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-m...license-when-clerk-asked-new-mexico-passpor
Well, New Mexico would have still existed west of the Rio Grande if we'd retained land east of the river. Our claim extended up into Colorado following that river to its source, then for some odd reason an odd panhandle that continued north. If we'd kept that odd protrusion, people up there would really have felt remotely connected to the state capital that eventually was settled in in Austin. After the forfeiture, we did end up with a more manageable panhandle and a shape that even Japanese children recognize, but we also lost land at the north end of our panhandle that became the three counties of the Oklahoma panhandle, plus a sliver of Kansas I think. Anyone know where the original name Six Flags Over Texas came from, well before the amusement park?

yhst-33631486045590_2268_227139681

Texas under Six Flags

And I have that same map, on which I overlaid a map of Colorado.

42910549281_f77f065928.jpg

42862271152_43a10bb80b.jpg

Texas would have had some great snow skiing, as well as Scuba diving, had we kept all of it, and Cozumel, too!

There would be a fudge store every 100 feet downtown. :banghead:
This is the ONLY thing that might make Cozumel better for me. I love a good fudge store. Especially if there are vanilla options.

My great great grandfather and great great uncle departed east Tennessee with Davey Crockett for Texas
One died at the Alamo- one became a state senator under Sam Houston

A son married my great grand mother- Their marriage license list him as a Texican she as an American

They had a son, my grandfather whom they named Sam after Sam Houston

My grandfather had a son named Sam Jr. after his father Sam Sam Houston

Sam Jr had a son named Sam III (me !) after his father and Sam Houston

I had a son named Sam IV after my father and Sam Houston.

I am the only true Texican on the board but living in California

While training in USAF in Texas during the Korean conflict
We always said:
" If I had a ranch in Texas and a home in hell
I would sell my ranch in Texas and go home
It would be cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter "

I discovered why we live in California

But still have a Texican heritage and attitude

Sam Miller, III

Nope, DandyDon. No evidence has come to light that the British meddled in Sam Houston’s company’s efforts to buy Cozumel, but that does not mean that they didn’t. The British State Papers (the archive that holds the British spy’s correspondence about the affair) does not indicate they took action against it, but they sure didn’t like it or want it to go through. The British had their own chance to own Cozumel, when Gov. Barbachano offered it to them (as well as to US and to Spain) in return for helping out with the War of the Castes in 1848, but they passed.

The Six Flags: France, Spain, Mexico, Texas, United States, Confederate States of America

Nope, DandyDon. No evidence has come to light that the British meddled in Sam Houston’s company’s efforts to buy Cozumel, but that does not mean that they didn’t.
I didn't say that. It was George Monnat Jr

And I have that same map, on which I overlaid a map of Colorado.
I forgot that we once extended into Wyoming. I took Texas history as required by law in Junior High, many decades ago. Nice map. I sometimes use the original Tejas map (which shows that our panhandle was once in New Mexico) to illustrate Alta & Baja Californias. Los Angeles to San Diego residents like to claim they are in Southern California, but it's really the middle.
Mexico_1835-1846_administrative_map-en-2.svg.png

Well, New Mexico would have still existed west of the Rio Grande if we'd retained land east of the river. Our claim extended up into Colorado following that river to its source, then for some odd reason an odd panhandle that continued north. If we'd kept that odd protrusion, people up there would really have felt remotely connected to the state capital that eventually was settled in in Austin.

More than likely the capitol wouldn't be in Austin, when they establish a new capitol they often are centrally located, so I think that I would been in Abeline or maybe Fort Worth.

Anyone know where the original name Six Flags Over Texas came from, well before the amusement park?

That is middle school Texas history, it stands for the six flags that flew over Texas.
Spain
France
Mexico
Republic of Texas
United States of America
Confederate States of America

Back
Top Bottom