Finding something in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for sharing, that is a great resource. I will be in Cozumel next month and this is super helpful.
Maybe you have experience with this @El Graduado. Have you or any body you know had issues at airport customs when bringing in camera equipment? I was told they will give me a hard time if they see my Nauticam A7SIII housing and lights. Is that true?

Thank you for sharing, that is a great resource. I will be in Cozumel next month and this is super helpful.
Maybe you have experience with this @El Graduado. Have you or any body you know had issues at airport customs when bringing in camera equipment? I was told they will give me a hard time if they see my Nauticam A7SIII housing and lights. Is that true?
It is entirely up to the inspector. Even things allowed by the rule book can require a tax (above or under the table) if the inspector decides to ask for one. Even things disallowed by the rule book can be allowed in (with or without said "tax") depending on the mood of the inspector.

My guess is that you will have no problem bringing in your camera rig if you don't have anything identifying it as commercial equipment that you are using in Cozumel on a commercial project.

I am sure many folks here on Scubaboard can tell you about their experiences with customs here, and will shortly.

Understood. "above or under the table" haha love it. Just like home (Costa Rica) Thanks for the info!

We had 4 people with substantial camera rigs with no problems this month. No SLRs, but larger APS-C and Micro 4:3rds cameras with complicated housings, trays, strobes, video lights, etc. I have read the same threads as you, probably, but it doesn't seem to be a common problem.

much appreciated, feeling better about it
I’ve primarily heard about this in connection with cameras in locations with fewer divers.

I bring copies of receipts for anything expensive because otherwise the inspector can assign a value based on looking up MSRP or whatever mood they’re in and in many cases to establish that something isn’t new.

Honestly, I’ve brought in a LOT of stuff for which I fully expected to pay duty and have never been assessed any - superautomatic cappuccino machines, Vitamix blenders, Instant Pots, an entire suitcase of doorknobs, multiple laptops at the same time, new in box cameras and housings, game consoles, and a brand-new disassembled Napoleon 2-burner propane grill (that fit into 3 barely-luggage-sized cardboard boxes we made).

I published a few more books on Cozumel, all of them available from Amazon Books.

We started relying on your “Free Blue Guide” from our first visit. The “Big Yellow Map” and the “Cozumel Survival Manual” have made huge differences in our experience being part-time residents/wannabe expats.

We also have print versions of the “The True History of …” books and Kindle versions of the ones available in that medium. I highly recommend them to anyone with a passing interest in the subjects.

The everythingcozumel.com website has been a regular part of my life for years, and I appreciate all the effort it took to reconfigure for easier use on small screens.

Having read the accounts of your personal adventures, I can only presume that you are actually the real Indiana Jones, except that you would surely speak “Hovitos” and I can’t quite figure out how Marie-France managed not to be portrayed in the films.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom