Historical Port Closures by month/year for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, using the data from 2010-2017, January is the worst month with 17 closures, followed by October with 14, February and November with 11, December with 9, March with 8, and April with 6. None of the months are all that bad. January of 2018 is the worst month in the database with 5 closures to date.

As promised, here is the historical data for number of days the port has been closed. Sorry, I only went back to 2010 - that's a good solid sample :)

So - a few things to keep in mind with this sampling:
  1. This includes full day closures as well as partial day closures. So divers were actually able to get out on some of these days.
  2. These numbers represent the total number of days the port was closed each month - these were not necessarily consecutive days. Some months there were single day closures or 2 day closures, etc.
  3. This sample includes port closures for the small boats (less than 30') - so it's possible that larger boats were able to get out on some of these days. I only have records for when WE were shut down from a "Norte"
  4. I only included months when "Nortes" can be present - so these closures only represent port closures for Nortes. Any other port closures would have been from tropical storm or hurricanes, and those are not a regular occurrence and can't really be predicted anyway.
  5. These numbers are based on dive logs for Blue XT~Sea Diving - I went back through the hard copies one by one, day by day, year by year. When there is a "Norte" - I note it in big red sharpie letters on the trip roster
  6. If it is not answered here, it's because I don't have the answer :)
View attachment 443198

I hope you will find this information helpful.

See you on the boat!

I appreciate the info, but I know for a fact that the port was closed for half a day for a norte in May year before last (or maybe the year before that; after 30 years of yearly visits they kinda run together) while I was there. It was closed in the morning but we were able to go out in the afternoon.

I appreciate the info, but I know for a fact that the port was closed for half a day for a norte in May year before last (or maybe the year before that; after 30 years of yearly visits they kinda run together) while I was there. It was closed in the morning but we were able to go out in the afternoon.

Well Gordon - as I said, this was a lot of work and I didn't include May - the port may have been closed, but from my memory it was a storm, not a true NORTE - we could have had high winds from something else - but for the purpose of this report, I am reporting TRUE WINTER Norte's - and if we had a freak Norte outside of these days - it was just that, a freak Norte

I literally spent HOURS doing this - so this is what I am able and willing to provide.

Last edited:
Correct, I always use crop before copying and inserting. Depends on what native application the data is in before printing screen, of course.

Print screen with an Apple will create a PNG. If you do it on Windows, you might be right about needing to paste it into something. I prefer MS Paint and saving as a JPG file.

Well Gordon - as I said, this was a lot of work and I didn't include May - the port may have been closed, but from my memory it was a storm, not a true NORTE - we could have had high winds from something else - but for the purpose of this report, I am reporting TRUE WINTER Norte's - and if we had a freak Norte outside of these days - it was just that, a freak Norte

I literally spent HOURS doing this - so this is what I am able and willing to provide.

@Christi I am a) impressed with your effort, b) impressed with your results, c) impressed with the fact that you would expend a portion of your life for the benefit of us ignorant folk on SB, and d) impressed with you! I will definitely make an effort to meet you on my next trip to Cozumel (hopefully soon - my back seems to be healing)

Thank you

Cheers - M²

And I appreciate it. It was a norte, not a local or tropical storm, with clear skies, lower humidity, and wind ripping from the north/northwest; it has happened twice in 30 years during my annual May trip. They were freak occurrences, I agree. In both cases the port was only closed for a few hours.

Last edited:
As promised, here is the historical data for number of days the port has been closed. Sorry, I only went back to 2010 - that's a good solid sample :)

So - a few things to keep in mind with this sampling:
  1. This includes full day closures as well as partial day closures. So divers were actually able to get out on some of these days.
  2. These numbers represent the total number of days the port was closed each month - these were not necessarily consecutive days. Some months there were single day closures or 2 day closures, etc.
  3. This sample includes port closures for the small boats (less than 30') - so it's possible that larger boats were able to get out on some of these days. I only have records for when WE were shut down from a "Norte"
  4. I only included months when "Nortes" can be present - so these closures only represent port closures for Nortes. Any other port closures would have been from tropical storm or hurricanes, and those are not a regular occurrence and can't really be predicted anyway.
  5. These numbers are based on dive logs for Blue XT~Sea Diving - I went back through the hard copies one by one, day by day, year by year. When there is a "Norte" - I note it in big red sharpie letters on the trip roster
  6. If it is not answered here, it's because I don't have the answer :)
View attachment 443198

I hope you will find this information helpful.

See you on the boat!

Dear Christi,

The 3 days you show for Dec 2017 were indeed nortes, I know because I can remember that far back and we were diving all 3 of those days on the east side which are only possible in a norte.

Dave

Dear Christi,

The 3 days you show for Dec 2017 were indeed nortes, I know because I can remember that far back and we were diving all 3 of those days on the east side which are only possible in a norte.

Dave

Did I miss where somebody said it wasn't a Norte?

Did I miss where somebody said it wasn't a Norte?
No, you didn't miss it. It was a poorly disguised advertisement where Dave was saying that Aldora goes diving during Nortes. :rofl3:

Cheers - MM
:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom