Hiring a DM or Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dnaber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I see it often referred to on posts where someone would hire a DM or a Guide while visiting a new wreck or dive site. I was just wondering about what are DM's or Guide's charging for their services?

I have no idea what they charge, but you should ask around. It could be free. I just got to Florida for my annual stay and will be diving this afternoon. last year the dive operator I will be using put a DM in the water on every dive. You were free to go with the DM or go on your own. There was no charge except for the normal tip. Of course, if you are using the DM's services like that, I would think a larger tip would be in order.

It varies as FL is a very big state.

In the Keys, there is a bit of variation where you may pay $25-$75/trip (some shops offer package deals of dive/rental gear/guide or private vs group, etc).
Some shops put guides in the water at no additional cost, but the ratio is high (6 or 8 to 1 guide).
Most offer a hired guide for smaller groups, you'll be in a group with other divers (maybe up to 4).
And all offer private guides, essentially getting a professional experienced buddy/mentor for just you (or you and your buddy).

I recommend reviewing the websites of the dive ops you are looking to dive with in that area. Most will have a menu of services & costs.

I recommend booking your guide in advance to ensure availability.

If you are coming to Key Largo, I highly recommend hiring @Capt Jim Wyatt to guide you on the Spiegel Grove. He served on is as the Gunnery Officer for 2 years and has the most knowledge about that wreck and 100s of dives on it as well. He works at Rainbow Reef.

I am a like to poke around and look at stuff guy. If hiring a DM/Guide I always hire a private one and then we discuss what I want to see, what he thinks the highlights are, etc. Groups go too fast for my taste. I have no problem physically but they usually make me feel rushed. (Caymans was an exception with a boat supplied guide but we were allowed to roam around on a slow drift). Normally the cost is much less than the dive itself. Did dive on one boat in California where I had to buy half a ticket for the DM in addition to the DM fee (Technically I was buying the ticket for the DM but they got an instructors price). But to date that has been unusual.

Steve, I'm like you, I hate to be rushed. That kinda why I was asking because it seems that a lot of dive buddies think its a race and I'm not diving to see how fast I can dive, but to see the wonders of what I'm being offered.

i'm often an in-water DM on some dive boats. Just tip the crew! Many ops here put DMs in the water.
I also get a fair number of people that want a private guide/safety blanket/refresher. Depending on the details i charge anywhere from $50 to $225 (possibly more). The cost depends on the kind of diving, what services i'm providing, what equipment i'm providing and the dive boat fees.

I've found the guides average between $25-75 around the world. I personally prefer my own guide, but generally I go to places that are so remote there's only 1-3 others any way so it's often not needed depending upon the style of the other divers. I do also hire my own DM when splashing down after some time out of the water for a refresher or if the dive is particularly challenging since I often travel alone and insta-buddies mostly suck. It's always a good idea to call ahead and arrange for the guide/DM.

I see it often referred to on posts where someone would hire a DM or a Guide while visiting a new wreck or dive site. I was just wondering about what are DM's or Guide's charging for their services?

Our DM's charge $80.00 for a two tank dive (wreck or reef). To work as a DM (guide) requires not only the investment in the certification, but annual dues to the professional organization the DM belongs to (PADI, etc.). The DM must also maintain professional liability insurance which runs about $350. All up, it cost about $500 p/year just to maintain professional status. Also, bear in mind, that while the DM is supervising a dive he/she is responsible for your safety. In the event of an accident or incident the DM will likely be included in any lawsuit that arises from that accident. Lawsuits commonly take years to litigate.

It's a fun job but given the cost and responsibility we think it's worthy of pay and, when done well...a really good tip!

Our trips include a certified Instructor or Divemaster guiding in the water on each dive. We don't use interns but rather true dive professionals with current insurance. Conditions permitting they usually carry a dive camera and provide photos for our divers. No more than a 6 to 1 ratio (many times less than 6) as we aren't a cattle car and only carry six divers. I can't tell you what other dive boats down here provide but search around and find one that is a good fit for what you are expecting.
Larry

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom