Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu or Kailua Kona for dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam308

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello my fellow divers!

My wife and I are taking a cruise in your area and I would like to get at least one dive in while visiting. We will stop in Hilo, Lanaina, Honolulu and Kaiklua Kona. If given just one dive location to pick from, which would it be and why. Also, it appears the cruise ship has no scuba excursions so I may have to find my own operator.

Thanks!

Sam
:)

You might have to give a little more info. What are the scheduled shore times for each of those locations. Kona and Lahaina you are not at a dock, you are anchored and get ashore on the tenders. Those would also be good spots to dive out of if the schedule works. Hilo is not likely a dive excursion stop, but there might be a local operator. Honolulu would mean you are not far from Kewalo Basin, where a few dive boats do mostly wreck/reef 2 tank charters, and again timing is everything

Halemano is 100% correct regarding Hilo and Kailua-Kona on the Big Island. You will be alongside a dock in Hilo, Hilo does have a couple great shore dives very near to town (when the weather is good), but because Hilo is on the windward side of the island the weather can get rough and will determine if you can dive or not.

Kailua-Kona is on the leeward side, so the weather is almost always great for diving. But since the cruise ship anchors, you'll need to check your schedule there more closely.

I'm very biased towards diving on the Hilo side of the Big Island :snorkel: ... but Kona, Lahaina, or Honolulu are safer bets for good diving weather when you are on a tight schedule.

Enjoy your trip!

Sorry LeadTurn SD...but I would certainly recommend Kona over Hilo for diving. I'm not saying there aren't good shore dives in Hilo...but like you said, weather and sea conditions make Kona a better choice. Plus, there are TONS of sites in Kona. Most have excellent visibility year-round (80-100 feet) and nice drop-offs. Jack's Diving Locker can pick up cruise ship passengers on Kailua pier as long as they can make it to the pier by 8:15am. So, Sam you should check your itinerary carefully. Other shops in Kona might also be able to pick you up on the pier...but many leave earlier than Jack's.

No reason to be sorry Cuddlefish :D ! I agree with you, Kona is a far better choice than Hilo for someone trying to squeeze in a dive or two while on vacation... but you should have seen the conditions at Leleiwi during the Kona winds we had a few weeks back.... epic! Flat calm, viz that would make you think you were at any of the Primo Kona sites, and swarms of turtles at multiple cleaning stations (and there has been a monk seal, but I haven't seen it). Ahhhh, why can't it be like that all the time, :D

Well I checked the itinerary and found the following arrival and departure times:

Hilo 8:00AM-8:00PM
Lahaina 7:00AM-11:00PM
Honolulu 7:00AM-5:30PM following day
Kailua Kona 7:00AM-5:00PM

Sam:14:

Well I checked the itinerary and found the following arrival and departure times:

Kailua Kona 7:00AM-5:00PM
You are definitely good to go for Kailua. I know Jack's never leaves before around 0830 except for the long range dives, and are back early afternoon. Call them or other recommended operators well in advance, you never know when they will book up on your day, Murphy's Law and all that...............:D

I'll be shuttling over next Thursday for a short stay and a dive with Jack's, they are like family by now (11 years).

Edit: Having seen the endless shuttle runs, you may want to get to the head of the line, don't now how long you have to wait to get to shore.....................

When is your cruise? My husband and I are also going on the 7 day NCL Hawaii cruise at the end of May. However, we decided to dive before the cruise.

Actually, I came on the boards to ask for some good dive shops for Maui and Kona. We are going to have a dive trip 5 days in Maui and 4 days in Kona before the cruise. Of course 1 day at the end of each of those stays will be waiting to fly to the different island. :( In Maui, we are staying in Lahiana and definitely want to go to Cathedrals as one of the dive trips per a friend's recommendation. On Kona, we would like to do the night dive with the Manta Rays. Other than that, we are flexible. We are AOW and Nitrox certified, although these will be our first nitrox dives.

Flat calm, viz that would make you think you were at any of the Primo Kona sites, and swarms of turtles at multiple cleaning stations (and there has been a monk seal, but I haven't seen it). Ahhhh, why can't it be like that all the time, :D

Why? Mauna Kea and trade winds...:D But to me that is the most beautiful side of the island. I remember surfing Hilo Bay in brown water with that stupid song..."come sail away...on Hilo Bay..." running through my head the whole time we were getting unreal lefts.

Back
Top Bottom