HIIT Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been doing heavy weights and high intensity cardio all my life and for a very long time I was a big believer in HIIT. There are many variations of HIIT so I would like to explain what I mean by the term when I use it. HIIT to me was a 20 minute session in which 1 minute of intense high impact cardio was followed by a 2 minute of recovery phase. It was great in the sense that it would get my out of breath quickly. I would then add 40 - 60 minute weight lifting sessions and in under 90 minutes but after draining myself with HIIT the weight training sessions were sometimes ...compromised.

Lately I have changed into longer cardio sessions. I am trying to go for an hour at a comfortable pace instead of HIIT. This has certain very observable advantages.

HIIT would take much longer to recover from. If I did an HIIT session, I would need a recovery period before the next "all out honest" session would be possible. This meant that the number of sessions I could squeeze in one month were lesser. This reduced the long term effectiveness of HIIT. If we were to compare single workout against a single workout then an HIIT session would be far more draining but when I compare 6 months of HIIT against 6 months of steady paces cardio then steady pace has been more beneficial.

Presently my workout schedule is looking more like this:

Monday - 40 - 60 minutes of steady paced cardio
Tuesday= 40 - 60 minutes of steady paced cardio
Wednesday = 40 - 60 minutes of steady paced cardio
Thursday - 40 - 60 minutes of steady paced cardio
Friday - Off
Saturday : Chest Tricep and shoulders
Sunday: Back Bicep and Legs

While this enables me to go heavy on weights on the weekends the weekday cardio sessions are not taxing so I can squeeze five of these into a week. So this is a variation to try if you wish to maximize recuperation.
Thanks Sinbad. Something to think about. I have done the steady state cardio routines in the past and it worked well for me but times change and I just can't find the motivation to do an hour of cardio after working a 12+ hour day. I am hoping that the higher intensity HIIT routines, especially workdays, is something that I can commit to and then shoot for a 30 minute traditional cardio excecise for my off days. Days of any significant lifting are long past but again I am hoping to find a happy medium.

Its amazing how fast a person can decline in just a few years. I completed a "modified" version (rotator cuff tear with incomplete healing) of the P90x 5 years ago. Now just the thought of plyometrics makes me cringe.

And I have got to start yoga again. That was probably the one single most rewarding exercise I have done.

Last edited:
uncfnp- Id like to suggest a slightly different approach. Right now have a hunt and find a local race of some sort to enter. Something in 3-9 months time.
It could be running,cycling swilmming or a combination of all three Doesn't matter but just enter it.
With an actual goal event you'll find you have an actual motivation to get fitter. Ive also found thst people that actually pay to enter an event are more committed to workout.
if you are up for it running is the best way to shed pounds.-work up to it though not just trying to smash out 10 miles on your first hit out or you will hurt yaself real bad.
Im 175cm tall and Ive dropped 13kg in about 6-9 months, -but my BMI has also changed in a big way. Fat has gone.
In fairness im training 8-15 hours a week--run swim and bike.-did my first half ironman a week ago
Good luck
Hey Frosty. I completely agree that I need a target goal. I will have to give this some thought.

I am far from an athlete but have been physically active most of my life. But the past few years have been a real challenge with both injury and age related changes.

I am not much into New Year's resolutions but I need something to get me back into fitness and stop this loss of strength and endurance and, yes, weight gain. I have fallen so far off the fitness wagon that my weak attempts at exercise are just depressing and I am finding motivation difficult. I am in that "I will start next week" black hole.

High-intensity interval training: Maximum results in a minimum of time

This week I saw Dr Jordan Metzl on the Today show discussing HIIT training and his new book. I have met Dr Metzl and attended medical conferences where he was a speaker. I was impressed by both his passion for fitness and his personal success. I knew of interval training but not specifically HIIT training. I bought his book. I am just to chapter two but I think this may just be the inspiration and workout I need to get me back into a fitness routine.

So why the post? Well, self motivation for one. To share the possibility as well. And to see if any fellow SBers have experience with HIIT and if so their insights or tips.
Did it for years. First with a trainer, then on my own. Very effective. Try it, you'll like it!

Presently my workout schedule is looking more like this:

Monday - 40 - 60 minutes of steady paced cardio
Tuesday= 40 - 60 minutes of steady paced cardio
Wednesday = 40 - 60 minutes of steady paced cardio
Thursday - 40 - 60 minutes of steady paced cardio
Friday - Off
Saturday : Chest Tricep and shoulders
Sunday: Back Bicep and Legs

No abdominal exercises?

Any Crossfit boxes(gym) in your area? You can scale the workouts to your ability and comfort. I go 5x a week, its very motivating and fun, and the Crossfit community is awesome.

Any Crossfit boxes(gym) in your area? You can scale the workouts to your ability and comfort. I go 5x a week, its very motivating and fun, and the Crossfit community is awesome.
That's a new idea for me. I need to learn more about this workout but a google search showed the closest gym about 20 miles away. Not an option with my work schedule.

Update so far. I got off to a great start. A mix of yoga, spin bike and 10 minute HIIT routines. Then got sick. Just now really starting to get my energy level back. That seems to be a common pattern. I really get into a workout routine and I get sick. I use to blame it on the gym but obviously not the case this time.

Something else I have found. The mental part of the workout is critical. If I think it's too hard, it probably will be. If I approach it with an " I can do this" attitude, the workout is so much more successful.

I had no idea SB has a fitness thread! I was a lifter for 20+ years but in the past few years I've messed around with HIIT. HIIT is crazy intense and depending on your fitness level, should only be done 1-3x a week. I almost never do SSC anymore as all my cardio is based on HIIT now. Time is of the essence to me and I rather burn efficient calories rather than spending that much more time in the gym doing SSC.

One huge benefit that may not have been addressed here with HIIT is the prolonged state of EPOC, which can elevate your metabolic caloric burn well after your workout is over. Just make sure you do have at least 4-6 hours after your workout to bring your RHR to normal levels so that you can sleep.

My favorite exercises for HIIT training:
  • Speed jump rope(8x @2min each with 1 min rest intervals)
  • Battle rope(10x @30 seconds each with 30 second rest intervals)
  • Treadmill 9-10moh sprints(10x @30-45 seconds each with 30 second rest intervals)
I wear a HRM along side an interval timer to effectively track my workouts. My goal is to aim for 80-95% of my MHR and a total caloric burn of 6-900 calories per workout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom