High winds (and seas) diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Important to keep in mind that the x-y forecast is a type of average.

SEAS ARE GIVEN AS SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT...WHICH IS THE AVERAGE HEIGHT OF THE HIGHEST 1/3 OF THE WAVES. INDIVIDUAL WAVES MAY BE MORE THAN TWICE THE SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT.

So a forecast of 3-4 may mean there are some 6-8 waves tossed in. Maybe even a 9.

Interesting, here in Florida the NOAA seas are usually pretty spot on and 3-4 means a nice calm day. I understand the disclaimer and maybe it works out that way other places in the country. Also, most diving in SE Florida is close to the coast, not much more than a few miles out, but in your neck of the woods I understand that you are pretty far offshore which might things more erratic.

I really want to get up there this summer and dive with the sand tigers . . .

A few sites are 12 miles, most are 18 or more with a lot over 23 miles out. Seems the variance increases with the prediction. 1-2 is always nice. 3-4 is often nice but sometimes it gets bit rougher than nice calm. Also depends if there are some large long term swells coming in with the wind driven waves.

Interesting, here in Florida the NOAA seas are usually pretty spot on and 3-4 means a nice calm day. I understand the disclaimer and maybe it works out that way other places in the country. Also, most diving in SE Florida is close to the coast, not much more than a few miles out, but in your neck of the woods I understand that you are pretty far offshore which might things more erratic.

I really want to get up there this summer and dive with the sand tigers . . .

I trust the boats I go out with in SE FL. If the boat goes, I go. At times it's the inlets that limit the trip rather than the general wave height, particularly true for Boynton Beach, to a lesser extent Jupiter. West Palm has the most forgiving inlet.

I trust the boats I go out with in SE FL. If the boat goes, I go. At times it's the inlets that limit the trip rather than the general wave height, particularly true for Boynton Beach, to a lesser extent Jupiter. West Palm has the most forgiving inlet.

I agree, the West Palm inlet is definitely the most forgiving. We've had some pretty hairy encounters with Boynton and with Jupiter. Do not wish to repeat.

Great responses guys. Thanks very much for the info!
Some really good points were made here as well. I do believe that the safety of ALL the divers aboard should be top priority.

If I am taking my little Whaler out I look at the tides and inlets conditions. Incoming tides and winds and outgoing tides can make for interesting adventures. Yet the seas can be quite decent outside.

My dad, long, long ago, cut a corner on a bar, we kids were yelling, no, no NO! We could see bottom between waves. Yep, boat landed on sea bottom, next wave went over boat, boat stayed on bottom. I try to avoid that these days.

I look around when I am in a new area or even a familiar area, if I see people in small craft going out then I go out, and when I see them not I do not and when I see them head in, me too.

N

Interesting to learn that WPB has the best inlet during rougher seas.

Cancelations due to seas was one of the reasons we switched dive boats in the WPB area. The first dive op cancelled frequently and after a trip with them when the seas increased during the first dive I found out why. That boat rolled with just moderate waves. No thank you. I was told it was in part the hull shape and that it was single engine. Don't know how accurate that is but it deffinitely seemed less stable.

On our current go to dive boat, like scubadada, we go if the boat goes. The Captain has yet to cancel a trip on us. We have had 2 trips where it was just us, one crew member and the captain. Our trip last November, when the weather kept a lot of boats at dock, we made it out every day. And I have to say that frequently the more sporty the seas top side have been some of the calmist at dept and great days diving.

And then there's those unexpected summer thunderstorms that pop up and you have to make a quick decision what to do and which way to go. 3 years ago I had my family out on Caladesi Island right off Hurricane Pass and I saw the inland storm brewing, which typically stay over land... Nope. It was on us within several minutes gusting to 40+. Shredded my canopy and turned my umbrella into a pretzel, nearly put me into the jetty of rocks, I could see I was a second away from being pushed up on the rocks as the wind was pushing harder than my engine. Threw it in WOT while taking green water over the bow to avoid wrecking before finally seeking refuge behind a spoil island. The ocean can be unpredictable, although I should have followed my gut when I heard the Bucs games over the radio being delayed due to severe thunderstorms. Although, where do you go? Out to sea? Weather the storm. :wink:

Last edited:
On my private boat which is about 6 metres long (say 20 feet) and is a catamaran, I will not go if the forecast is for winds of over 15 knots. Of course, for offshore winds of this strength or even more, I will probably go depending on the actual dive site and the swell. In Sydney in westerly winds, the seas are usually millpond in close, so if we hug the coastline we can dive sites we normally cannot and do it very safely.

I also will not go to some of the more distant sites in winds over 12 knots as it is just too uncomfortable getting there (or back). We then dive closer sites.

As to seas, well, depends really on a number of things, including the wave period. Tomorrow (Saturday) we have seas forecast to be a bit over 2 metres (7 feet) but the period will be 14 seconds. This means there will be surge right down to 49 metres (almost 160 feet), so all our reef dives will be very, very surgy. For that reason alone, we have cancelled our club dives. If it was 11 seconds or so I would have went.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom