high pressure vs. low pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamanny:
In Europe LP steel tanks are routinely filled to 4000psi(the metric equivalent). Aside from DOT regulations, is there any reason why this should not be the case in the USA? Any Comments?

Search on Posts by Leadking (me) I have explained in excrutiating detail the metallurgy used in European cylinders vs. DOT 3AA and why they are different and why I do not reccomend overfilling any cylinder.

CD_in_Chitown:
The volume is larger usually

My 3500 psi HP100s hold 100 cu ft at the full 3500

LP95s hold 95 cu ft at 2640 (or thereabouts), while a PST LP95 will hold like 104 cu ft at 3450psi, this is known as a + hydro, such a hydro certifies the tank to working pressure +10%.

As an aside the tank neck is different depending on the working pressure 200 or 300 bar may ring a bell? LP tanks use the 3/4" threads in the neck (which is the same as your AL80 btw) and HP tanks use a 5/8" threads on the neck. These numbers may be off, I usually have seen them designated in NPT instead of inches but not sure what NPT means. On a DIN valve the LP connection point (200 bar) is not as deep as an HP DIN (300 bar).

If its what I am thinking of NPT is National Pipe Thread.It is a way for manufacturers of fittings pies etc to describe the thread size and shape.Theres a lot of other descriptions out there also.You almost need a dictionary to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom