HIDs AAAAARGH!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta Matt:
I would Toss the light and get a UK HID.

Which won't solve any of his problems. Not only do the UK's have the same bulb and Welch Allyn Ballast, but they're bulky, non-focusable, have limited burn time and can't be used hands-free with a Goodman handle.

I don't think any 'serious' diver would consider the UK a viable option.

Boogie711:
Which won't solve any of his problems. Not only do the UK's have the same bulb and Welch Allyn Ballast, but they're bulky, non-focusable, have limited burn time and can't be used hands-free with a Goodman handle.

I don't think any 'serious' diver would consider the UK a viable option.

I would agree. most if not all serious divers are using canister lights with 10 or 21 watt HID's

I just spoke with dive-rite and they said I had the older light head (bought it new 1 year ago) and that for $100+ they would install the new one which has a cushioning o-ring which prevents the bulbs from breaking so easily.
Wish they had told me 4 bulbs ago.
Dive-rite aaaaagh!!!

My MR11 (that was bought about 5 months ago) took a nice dump with all my gear at morrison springs two weekends ago. It survived, but I was pretty sure that they bulb was shot after reading this thread for awhile. Luckily it still fired up. I am not sure if it has the cushioning o-ring in it or not, but it took a nasty spill and still worked. Take it for what it's worth..

Matt

wedivebc:
Tell me more??????

Dave,

Salvo isn't the only one using Brightstar Bulbs.. Sartek began using them several months ago.. I had my 18w upgraded to the brightstar bulb for less than a new WA bulb (and less than Salvo is charging)

For Video I definately prefer the WA bulb, but its so damn fragile..

Sartek's version of switchable power output (underwater) should be available by now (or very shorty)

Has anyone had any experience with OMS phanom dive lights. I was considering one of there new 21watt systems with the 8amphr NiMH, mostley cause its a good deal. But the is used.

Visibilty is not an Issue

Spoon:
seems like i will stave of my hid purchase. il wait til they perfect the technology.
My guess is that they will make much brighter LEDs before they perfect HID. But, I'm not an expert on lighting. Heck, I don't really know much at all.

greg1:
I would agree. most if not all serious divers are using canister lights with 10 or 21 watt HID's

Sorry, did know that the Dive rite was a Canister light... apologizes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom