HIDs AAAAARGH!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, how come HID bulbs in automobiles don't break like the dive lights? I mean, wouldn't it then make sense to try and convert one of those to a dive light?

cmalinowski:
OK, how come HID bulbs in automobiles don't break like the dive lights? I mean, wouldn't it then make sense to try and convert one of those to a dive light?
Funny you should ask. I was doing research on HIDs and came up with the same question. Have not found the answer yet except they are higher wattage than dive lights.

The bulbs in automobiles are designed for automobiles. The bulbs currently used by Halcyon and others were designed for more static environments like overhead lights.

Salvo Diving uses Brightstar 21W bulbs, which were designed for automobile use. They're much smaller and tougher than the Welch Allyn bulbs.

www.salvodiving.com

jonnythan:
The bulbs in automobiles are designed for automobiles. The bulbs currently used by Halcyon and others were designed for more static environments like overhead lights.

I don't know how you dive but my diving is anything but static :eyebrow:

wedivebc:
I don't know how you dive but my diving is anything but static :eyebrow:
That's why so many of them break, and why the Brightstar bulb is a superior choice.

can you put anyone's bulbs in light? If I get a DR canister, will I be able to put a bulb that may be better made in it?

Probably not. It's not just the bulb (and the bulbs are physically very different) but also the ballast, which takes up a lot more space than the bulb. The head/housing has to be specially made for a particular ballast.

I think Salvo Diving retrofits Halcyon Helios 9 lights with the Brightstar bulb/ballast for a charge, but I'm sure it's not trivial and requires some extra parts not readily available. Best bet is to get the right light to begin with.

Yup bulb and ballast must be matched.

bummer. Was thinking about diverite, but might not be a good choice considering I am cold water sometimes and either way, it doesn't sound like a rock solid piece of equipment.

To start with, I dive the DR MR 11 6 degree bulb almost daily (2 dives a day) and get about 9 months out of a bulb. This is in warm water 76 F on average. The light rides in the back of my truck - no special care is taken and has been dropped more times than I would like to admit.

I also have the Brightstar 21watt bulb in a light head, this thing has been dropped and abused with no ill effects. It does look more robust and I am sure it is, but man even at 100.00 to change the DR, I have no complanents about the bulb.

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom