HID100 or UK8 r

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HippyDog

New
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what will be brighter and more effective in our local Pacific Northwest waters. I want a bright light for night and deep diving and have been pretty happy with my UK800r for quite a while.

Is it possible to get a canister light for less than $300 that's worth it?

If not what is your experience with the HID lights, side by side which is the better light the UK8 rechargeable with a 25 watt bulb or the HID100??

UK's site says the rechargeable is the brighter, but then why is everyone diving the hid? It's a whiter light but is it the better choice??

Thanks
K

I've tried a several versions UK's recharable lights (C4R, C8R, D4R). I've even taken the 18 watt bulb of the D4R and put it in the C4R. 18 watts of power in a super compact light ... it WAS (past tense) a cool light ... until the bulb melted and fused itself onto the reflector.

I'm curretly using the Light Cannon with 4.4Ah NiMh batteries, and am pretty happy with it.

I believe the 800R (and the D8R) uses a 30 watt Xenon bulb (not 25 watt). The Light Cannon uses a 10 watt HID bulb, which according to UK, outputs as much light as a 25 watt Xenon bulb. So Techinically, I guess the 800R and D8R outputs more light. But, I think that the Light Cannon produces a higher quality beam that carries farther in the water.

The 800R/D8R uses a 30 watt bulb ... the Light Cannon uses a 10 watt bulb ... which means the 800R/D8R draws 3 times as much power from batteries that the Light Cannon does. Not so cool if you're on a boat and have to make multiple dives.

With the Light Cannon, I can put in my own high-capacity (4.4 Ah C-cell) rechargable cells which have a much higher capacity (and is less expensive) than UK's recharable battery pack.

But, if you're happy with your 800R, why replace it?

Thanks ifukuda,

great info. makes sense about the quality of light being better and that seems to push it over the uk8s.

So are you saying that the light doesn't come with the UK batteries. and that you buy some standard rechargeables for use with it?

I flooded my uk800r and sent it back to UK. suprisingly they didn't repair anything and just sent it back as is since there wasn't a visible defect. Well about 3 dives later, last night, it leaked again and is pretty bad off, the reflector component at least.

so i can send it back again.

What would be the next step up from this. Are there some good used canister lights I could find on ebay that are better and less than about $350?

thanks.

Hippy Dog,

I am afraid I don't know much about canister lights. I've seen that they're really bright, but I've also heard that the latest and greatest HID lights can cost over $1000. Sorry, I'm not going to be of much help in this area.

RE: Rechargable Light Cannon
The "Rechargable" Light Cannon just take a regular Light Cannon, with the same recharable battery pack that's in the C8R (2.8Ah C-cells x 8). Personally, I think it's pointless to spend an extra $100 for a "Rechargable" Light Cannon, because I can put in higher capacity batteries less expensively (4.2Ah C-cells x 8 for $50 ... $85 with a good charger).

Have you heard of Kowalski dive lights? I think they're a German company. I've never seen a real one, but according to the specs, these lights produce an obscene amount of illumination. Check out DiveInn.com, in Spain. They seem to be one of the few places that you can find Kowalski dive lights online.

I recently upgraded my UKD8 to a rechargeable and boy are they bright! I'm happy I did that.

As for the HID, according to ifukuda's post, the cost to put together a rechargeable setup for the Light Cannon would be
a little less than $300.

I'd say keep your current light. The HID is much whiter, but I don't really think it's worth it to spend another $300 if you already have a good light. The human eye/brain is pretty good at correcting for subtle tints anyway.

A good HID canister light will start from $500, AFAIK.
I'm thinking about getting one, but only because I want a focusable light for DIR-type team signalling.

Hi,

i use both the Light Cannon and a canister light.

Both have their good and bad points. A good canister light is dear and 300 is just below what they tend to sell for. Maybe check out the Robin Hood Watersports umbilical. It uses a standard 50W bulb that you can pick up in any hardware shop so thats fairly handy. However the beam is only about as bright as a D4 but MUCH MUCH wider (so you get less back scatter if you dive in bad viz).

the light Cannon is a FAR better torch but the bulbs, as with all HIDs, cost an arm and a leg. Reckon its about 100 dollars a bulb, so if you get one don't drop it ;-P

Also the Light Cannon tkaes about 5 or 6 seconds to warm up to full brightness , so you can't just flick it on if you want to see something. By the time it warms up whatever you wanted to see has gotten bored and swam off.

Personally I'd spend the money on the Light Cannon (bloody great burn time and it takes standard disposbale batteries if you forget your charger)

Just got one this year and it really is a great light - I use it in NJ (not the greatest vis at time :winkbl: )

I've been real happy with it!

=-) The best way to find out the difference of HID versus others is to dive with an HID...that being said ..if you can't dive an HID then dive with someone who is diving an HID. I recently purchased a 10w Halogen light and thjought that it was the koolest...until I did a night dive with a buddy who had a Sartek HID. It was like holding a candle next to a light saber. I have since given up my Halogen and am now waiting on the arrival of my 10W HID. The UK light cannon is an afordable alternative to a canister light...however go the extra difference and get the canister. Check out AUL(american underwater lighting)

I've found a new shop online that sells high capacity rechargable NiMh batteries for a great price: http://www.batteryspace.com/.
This should bring down the cost of making a rechargable Light Cannon down even further.

FYI for So Cal divers...Sport Chalet is having a sale on the Light Cannon for $159.97 (I don't know for how long).

Back
Top Bottom