HID Light Cannon or not?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a cannon from scubatoys (Hi Larry ), they shipped it over the pond to London, works fine!!!!

Mr Mares:
I bought a cannon from scubatoys (Hi Larry ), they shipped it over the pond to London, works fine!!!!
Welcome on to the board! Glad it's all working for you... amazing what a little bubble wrap can do for you!

Thanks for the mention!

I bought 2 light cannons. One for my wife and myself. They are both about 3 years old. We have never had any problems with them. Even after 3 trips to Coz and the rough baggage handling at coz. I take them in a pelican case my old reefmaster camera came in. I would highly recommend this light with a lantern handle.

I carry two light cannons and have a machined base that replaces the handle with a base that fits onto the quick arms on my video housing and ta da I have video lights as well.

They work well with the included defuser.

Diver Mike...

Dee:
Beast and I have the chance to aquire these lights at a very, very good discount by utilizing our DM key man discounts. But I have some reservations. I've read in several forums how delicate the bulb is and how expensive it is to replace. Stories of broken bulbs in just normal careful usage doesn't sound good. Is this a common occurance? I don't want a light that I'm going to have to keep in a padded case and almost be afraid to use!

I've been looking to get an HID for some time, and was seriously considering the light cannon, until I dove with one of my tekie friends, and he loaned me a Dive Rite HID light system. Now, forget the light cannon, I'm getting one of these. First, I can shed at least 4 lbs of lead, second, I strap the light head to the top of my hand and voila! nothing to hold, a free hand when I need it, and a light beam that goes with me wherever I point my finger.

Yes, it's a lot more expensive than the light cannon, but when you're spending $200.00 for a dive light, why not pay twice that amount and get a system that is not only rechargeable (the cost of batteries alone can surpass the price of the dive rite system over a given period of time), it's far more sturdier than the light cannon, and less prone to accidents because it doesn't dangle from the diver. Don't get me wrong, both my wife and I have UK lighting systems now, a C-8, SL-6 and SL4, but again, after diving with the dive rite system, there is no comparison. Also, this system gives you the option of a 6 degree beam or a 13 degree flood, a choice you don't have with the light cannon.

Semper safe

Rick

Scubaguy62:
Also, this system gives you the option of a 6 degree beam or a 13 degree flood, a choice you don't have with the light cannon.
You can purchase "flood" lense things for the light cannon. I have no idea how much they are or where to get them, but my normal buddy has 2 of them. Again, if you can't afford the can light, a used light cannon is a very viable option.

Big-t-2538:
You can purchase "flood" lense things for the light cannon. I have no idea how much they are or where to get them, but my normal buddy has 2 of them. Again, if you can't afford the can light, a used light cannon is a very viable option.

I've even seen light cannons rigged with goodman-like handles. Probably not too bad, but might be just a tad bulky.

When i bought the light cannon it came with two wide angle filters so you can, sort of!!!, adjust it. Reports that they can be fragile so I keep mine on a snap coil, in BC pocket on entry and exit. :cheeky:

warren_l:
I've even seen light cannons rigged with goodman-like handles.
I plan on doing it with mine this summer....I've yet to figure out exactly how I want to go about it though.

Short story: I took my light cannon to PDC with me recently and used it on my Cenote dives. The DM had Halogen hand helds for everybody and he was using a Dive Rite Halogen canister (Not sure which one but the canister was huge). Anyway the Light Cannon was way brighter than all their lights put together. There were serveral times all five of us were pointed in the same direction. There beams didn't exist once the mine hit the spot. Totally different kind of light color. Theres were very yellow/orangy were the cannon is more white/blueish. Maybe no good for photography but man is that thing is bright.

On a side note I'm still going to sell it and get a canister which will also be HID. I think I would prefer the small head on a goodman compared to the heavier LC. Just a personal preference.

As for the ruggedness. I packed mine in my standard luggage, did nothing special except remove the batteries. My luggage was roughed up pretty good but the light functioned with out a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom