HID Light Cannon or not?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Beast and I have the chance to aquire these lights at a very, very good discount by utilizing our DM key man discounts. But I have some reservations. I've read in several forums how delicate the bulb is and how expensive it is to replace. Stories of broken bulbs in just normal careful usage doesn't sound good. Is this a common occurance? I don't want a light that I'm going to have to keep in a padded case and almost be afraid to use!

I have the HID Light Cannon.
I did have a problem with the bulb after using the light for about 10 dives. I sent it back to UK and they replaced the bulb. They also sent me the handle I wanted. Mine had only the piston grip handle when I bought it and I wanted the lantern grip. Apparently, there was a batch of bad bulbs and I was unlucky to buy one.
I really like the light and don't find it that "delicate". I've bumped it a few times, dropped it once with no problem. It sure is a powerful light - great for night dives.
Good Luck
Barb

I got one on a Divemaster discount about a year and a half ago.
I say go for it . I dont know if I would pay full retail for one but I have had no trouble with it .At the key man discount price it is a steal.
joens.

You're right joens....at that price we hate to pass it up!

Can you please tell me what is "Divemaster discount " and where I can find it.

Thanks
Scott :D

I hate to sound the sour note... but the light canon, while bright and a bargain... is not focusable. This may not seem like a big deal but our primary use for HIDs is communication and a narrow focused beam is essential.

Something else to consider: since HIDs are so bright I do not like to shine them directly at living things... especially things with eyes. We can still light up what we want to see without the focused beam being directly on the subject.

Another draw back to the light canon is that it is hand held... since you are a photographer I would think you would need both hands free.

I understand what you are saying UP, but many divers don't have $800 + to shell out for a top of the line HID. IMHO for the money ($130 + Rechargable batteries) you can't beat the Light Cannon in terms of brightness.

Dee,
My $.02. For a hand held primary, the light cannon is good. The folks I know who use them are satisfied and have not had problems with them being fragile.
If you don't like it I'm sure you can sell the light for what you have invested.

Larry

ICUROK once bubbled...
Can you please tell me what is "Divemaster discount " and where I can find it.

Thanks
Scott :D

Keyman discounts are offered to dive shop owners and employees by manufacturers to promote their equipment. Discount are typically huge and you can buy some stuff for less than wholesale. This is normally given to instructors and DMs as they are the ones the students see.

Phil

That's nice. Its to bad that I did not get offered any when I divemastered for a instructor at a store for two years.:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom