HID, eLED, Halygen, C4, D4, C8, D8 ??!???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it isn't too late to swing your choice.

I supply both C4 and C8's to the divers that I guide in the cenotes of Mexico. I have also used the LED light head that is used on both of these lights. The LED is a good light but really lacks the depth of penetration that I and my customers seem to prefer. The C4 is just not a bright as the C8 and has the same burn time (though half the batteries) so even though the C8 is a little heavier and requires more double the batteries, I only use the C8's. It would save me a ton of money on batteries if I used the C4 and most people wouldn't complain - not knowing the difference, I still use the C8's ability. I only use the C4's for snorkel tours.

The Light cannon is nice, but it isn't that great comparing the C8's ability and it's value. I have seen many C8's up against the Light cannon and it really isn't that much less of a light.

Dennis - owner of 12 C8's and 8 C4's and 4 LED conversions.

shark.byte.usa:
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I think I'm going to get a C4 eLed and try that out first and go from there, good thing is, my son is starting OW classes at the end of August, so it won't go to waste if I decide to later get the LC, either because of performance or grip. I have a Mini Q40 for day dives works great and is bright enough for me to peer into dark places, but if I later get the LC, the C4 eLed could move to my day light.

I do consider the LC moderatley priced without the battery pack, but not knowing what I would prefer or how much it's going to be used for that matter, I ultimately decided on arguably the next best thing. I decided on the C4 instead of the C8 because the C4 looks like it has plenty of burn time for me, no need to carry around the extra weight if I don't have to.

Thanks again.

I think you made an excellent choice. I am sure you will enjoy your new light.

Mark Vlahos

shark.byte.usa:
In need of a moderately priced, beginner's primary dive light.

I've not had the need for a primary, but will in the next couple weeks be doing my first night dives, so I am in the market for my first primary light.

The different bulbs, sizes, etc. have me all confused, I'm not an electrician and don't play one on T.V., nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I need some help.

Majority of my diving is in Southern California beaches, as will my upcoming night dives, so no muddy water, which I've read affects some lights.

I've been looking at the UK's, but don't know what to look for. I don't want to be changing batteries after every dive (which are typically just short of an hour), but don't mind changing before each trip (night) of diving. Don't really know how bright (watts?) I would want/need it.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Have you looked into some of the smalled canister lights? most have 4.5 ah and you can get 4 hours burn from a 10watt HID. You will pay more for it than the UK light canon, but I would go with a small canister light.

Pez de Diablo:
If it isn't too late to swing your choice.

I supply both C4 and C8's to the divers that I guide in the cenotes of Mexico. I have also used the LED light head that is used on both of these lights. The LED is a good light but really lacks the depth of penetration that I and my customers seem to prefer. The C4 is just not a bright as the C8 and has the same burn time (though half the batteries) so even though the C8 is a little heavier and requires more double the batteries, I only use the C8's. It would save me a ton of money on batteries if I used the C4 and most people wouldn't complain - not knowing the difference, I still use the C8's ability. I only use the C4's for snorkel tours.

The Light cannon is nice, but it isn't that great comparing the C8's ability and it's value. I have seen many C8's up against the Light cannon and it really isn't that much less of a light.

Dennis - owner of 12 C8's and 8 C4's and 4 LED conversions.

That's ODD, according to UK's website the only difference between the eLed C4 and C8 is burn time, or are you talking about the non-eLed versions??

greg1:
Have you looked into some of the smalled canister lights? most have 4.5 ah and you can get 4 hours burn from a 10watt HID. You will pay more for it than the UK light canon, but I would go with a small canister light.

Thanks but that's too much moola for me at this point, first I have to assess how much I'm even going to use it before making a decision like that, the C4 eLed hopefully will give me a little time to make that decision and to see what I like, maybe I don't like alot of light, maybe I won't like night diving at all.

shark.byte.usa:
That's ODD, according to UK's website the only difference between the eLed C4 and C8 is burn time, or are you talking about the non-eLed versions??

Numerous preports have it that UK's website is wrong. The prevailing theory is that the regulation circuit needs the extra current available from the 8-cell configuration to achieve peak potential brightness. See here for one fairly thorough discussion, and search Scubaboard for posts by Illumigeek on this topic.

not sure about that..if the light was going to be brighter with the c8's because of higher current draw, that why with the c4 would it not just use the same amount of current and burn the batteries quicker like they said? unless the heads were different and the c4 had a current limit on it

although thinking about it now, with the c8 you're going to have a higher supply voltage, so it is possible you get more current, hence more light...

i don't know, i didn't stay in a holiday inn last night...

mossym:
not sure about that..if the light was going to be brighter with the c8's because of higher current draw, that why with the c4 would it not just use the same amount of current and burn the batteries quicker like they said? unless the heads were different and the c4 had a current limit on it

Heads are the same, but current draw limits aren't. A battery is a little chemical reaction in a can -- there are limits to how fast the little chemicals can run into each other. 4*100% of maximum draw per cell is less than 8*60% of maximum draw per cell.

shark.byte.usa:
I am talking about the non LED version. They use the exact same LED head in both lights.

lairdb:
Numerous preports have it that UK's website is wrong. The prevailing theory is that the regulation circuit needs the extra current available from the 8-cell configuration to achieve peak potential brightness. See here for one fairly thorough discussion, and search Scubaboard for posts by Illumigeek on this topic.

Real world testing, the C4 and C8 with the LED head is the same brightness, the C8 has a much longer burn time... according to my eyes. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom