HID, eLED, Halygen, C4, D4, C8, D8 ??!???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In need of a moderately priced, beginner's primary dive light.

I've not had the need for a primary, but will in the next couple weeks be doing my first night dives, so I am in the market for my first primary light.

The different bulbs, sizes, etc. have me all confused, I'm not an electrician and don't play one on T.V., nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I need some help.

Majority of my diving is in Southern California beaches, as will my upcoming night dives, so no muddy water, which I've read affects some lights.

I've been looking at the UK's, but don't know what to look for. I don't want to be changing batteries after every dive (which are typically just short of an hour), but don't mind changing before each trip (night) of diving. Don't really know how bright (watts?) I would want/need it.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

shark.byte.usa:
In need of a moderately priced, beginner's primary dive light.

I've not had the need for a primary, but will in the next couple weeks be doing my first night dives, so I am in the market for my first primary light.

The different bulbs, sizes, etc. have me all confused, I'm not an electrician and don't play one on T.V., nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I need some help.

Majority of my diving is in Southern California beaches, as will my upcoming night dives, so no muddy water, which I've read affects some lights.

I've been looking at the UK's, but don't know what to look for. I don't want to be changing batteries after every dive (which are typically just short of an hour), but don't mind changing before each trip (night) of diving. Don't really know how bright (watts?) I would want/need it.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

I will give my general list of preference in primary lights and a brief consideration where applicable.

1) HID canister light. These are bright and when you consider the light head is separate from the battery reasonably compact. These are expensive but extremely bright. These are so expensive you had better be serious about getting one before you spend the money.

2) C4 size LED light. The really small LED lights tend to be a little too small for the optics to really give you a good light for use as a primary light source. The C4 size range seems to be a good compromise between light quality, size, and run time.

3) D4 or D8 sized lights including the UK Lightcannon. These lights are pretty large and difficult to manage. They tend to be fairly bright but the cost of batteries and their bulk underwater make this the first catagory of lights that I would not like to dive with. (I used to own and dive with an incandescent D8 monster)

4) Small or medium size incandescent lights. 4 AAA sized lights and the form factor like the UK SL4. These lights can be small and bright but are not the best choices for a primary light.

5) Really small incandescent or small LED lights. Well, these are too small to be worth it.

If you are just looking for a post that tells you what to get...

For standard recreational night dive and occasional day time use a UK C4 eLED would be my first choice, a reasonably nice compromise. If that costs too much, get a UK SL4 or SL6, while these are not the best for primary light use they will do for a while and when you get a better primary they will make excellent backup lights. For use as a primary, the small size of a SL4 or SL6 will make it a better compromise than getting a large D cell battery eater.

I hope this helps,

Mark Vlahos

yup, another vote for the light cannon, love mine, very bright, and you can get the rechargable battery pack or some standard rechargable batteries to power it..

Well I was leaning towards the UK C4 eLed or UK HID Light Cannon 100, wondered if the price differential is really worth it between the two (6 vs 10 watts?). If I'm reading correctly the C8 only gives me more burn time compared to the C4.

Definitely not ready to drop the $ for a cannister light.

another vote for the uk light cannon. i have the lantern grip and find it to be a little easier to manage.

Mark Vlahos:
For standard recreational night dive and occasional day time use a UK C4 eLED would be my first choice, a reasonably nice compromise.

I agree. I ust purchases a can light but had the c4 eLED and was very happy with how bright it is. You'd be amazed.

Sure, it is a huse difference in underwater, especially if you have a bad old eye like me.
I have two LCs. They are great light execpt a huge battery consumption.

shark.byte.usa:
Well I was leaning towards the UK C4 eLed or UK HID Light Cannon 100, wondered if the price differential is really worth it between the two (6 vs 10 watts?). If I'm reading correctly the C8 only gives me more burn time compared to the C4.

Definitely not ready to drop the $ for a cannister light.

I like my light cannon quite a bit. I have the rechargable pack for it, so batteries are not an issue. Bright and smaller than a D8. Great primary for the price. When I can afford one, I'll get a cannister.

Yes, that is additional cost for LC. Rechargable battery pack...... 8 C-cells, charger and plus shipping:wink:

kazinvan:
I like my light cannon quite a bit. I have the rechargable pack for it, so batteries are not an issue. Bright and smaller than a D8. Great primary for the price. When I can afford one, I'll get a cannister.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom